How to clean clogged print heads - Epson only

easyrefill

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Epson printer is not the only printer that has a print head clog problem. But this is the one I know more about because I own over half a dozen Epson printers.

The first reason for clog is the printer is allowed to sit for a long time with printing. Ink will dry and dry ink clogs.

The second reason is due to the use of poor quality cheap inks. This one give Epson unfair blame because the people who complained about the clogged printer seldom mention the ink they use. I have someone asked me for help after using a cheap ink from China and have the printer not printing at all.

Incidentally, I have used the same inks from this manufacturer and I was prompted to stay away from the pigment made in China. I think eventually, the Chinese inks will get better and will be acceptable. For now, I rather stay away from it.

The third reason for clog is letting the printer cartridge out of the printer for extended amount of time. The advise is not to remove the cartridge even if you think the cartridge is empty. Some ink is better than no ink at all.

These are the reasons I can think of that will cause print head clogs. I will write about the three methods that can be used to clear print head clog on a different date.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I found a new one recently that relates to bulk ink usage..

- Ink that has been left to settle for too long, and has become full of particulate and concentrated pigment. Result is the ink can't flow properly due to the incorrect ratio of pigment to base...

2 days to find the root cause for this with a yellow ink batch I received.. :(

easyrefill

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Does this mean the ink has to be removed and mixed to fix the clog?

Will this clog have to do with the ambient temperature causing changes to the ink?

I heard from a CIS supplier regarding ink clog and extreme temperature. It means at temperature uncomfortable to human, the ink may have undesirable changes chemically. I will try to talk to the experts at ink companies to find out about this.

Any news on how you fixed the print head clog?