How not to use Superglue

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Well I'm writing this because quite frankly I'm a ruddy idiot!

Turns out that there's a reason why you don't use Superglue in an enclosed, poorly ventilated space... Who knew? Oh yeah, me!! :/

I'm now having to avoid the stuff for a full on 10 days because I have managed to sit in a room with the fumes running around my head for nearly 3 days straight. Net result has been constant sneezing, cold/allergy like symptoms and tear ducts that feel like they have bits of dirt in them.

Figured I'd share this so you don't experience the joyous 2 weeks I've had already... :(

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Thanks for the warning, what were you sticking together with the Superglue?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ron350 said:
Thanks for the warning, what were you sticking together with the Superglue?
I was rebuilding all my CIS kits and using very small amounts of a flexy variant superglue to bond the tubes to fittings... Totally forgot that the damned stuff gives off shed loads of solvent so it was just sitting in the room letting me breath it all in..

The word is "Gump!" :p

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Would Barge cement work? Stays flexible, seals, etc. I've used it to hold new felt soles with embedded tire studs on my flyfishing wading boots. It holds for years of really rough use in water and out.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
This Instant Vinyl glue sticks pretty good to vinyl tubing and other plastics. There is a pointed plastic nozzle under the cap that makes it easy to put a small dab just where needed. This glue is similar to Goop brand glue but is thinner and easier to use. This Instant Vinyl and Goop both smell like plastic model glue and will melt styrene plastic so test before using.
http://www.spinblessing.com/item.php?art=033262129028

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/product--iMainCat--4223--iSubCat--4225--iProductID--7828--7828.shtml

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infadh/infgoo.html

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
pebe said:
How about usinga hot glue gun?
Maybe my glue gun is too cheap ir glue itself bad but I never have glued something that would hold with this method. You can glue paper but no plastic, rubber, metal etc.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
In electronic assemblies, plastic covered wires and components like small loudspeakers are often held in place with hot-glue. I find it makes a good bond between most things.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
pebe said:
In electronic assemblies, plastic covered wires and components like small loudspeakers are often held in place with hot-glue. I find it makes a good bond between most things.
As Smile said they are useless in this application. I've tried them numerous times in this role and they just don't work at all.

Couldn't give you the science behind it but experience tells more than enough... Thanks for the other ideas though folks... I may have some info on the super glue side of things (ie: what works) in a couple of weeks, once I'm able to re-use it without doing a dying swan routine ;)

Ken_CW_Honolulu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Smile said:
Maybe my glue gun is too cheap ir glue itself bad but I never have glued something that would hold with this method. You can glue paper but no plastic, rubber, metal etc.
1) Let the glue gun heat up to the proper temperature. This will cause a lot of waste glue to drip out on some guns, but the glue you do shoot will be hot enough to get he job done.

2) Don't use really old gluesticks that have "spoiled".

3) Use the right kind of gluestick, don't use wood glues for plastic cartridges for example.

4) Make sure the glued area is clean. Wipe off ink residue and peel away old glue if refilling a previously glued cartridge. It also helps to slice drill residue off the hole with a razor blade, as the plastic shreds can interfere with sealing.

5) Glues have different "open times" so allow the right amount of time for the glue to set.

6) For sealing holes on drilled cartridges, shoot a tiny glob to plug the hole, let sit for a few seconds, then shoot a secondary "sealing glob" over the plugged hole. Press the sealing glob flat with a flat heat resistant metal object. It helps to use a non-stick spray on your pressing object to prevent glue from sticking to it. I have found this method to be very effective in preventing leaks.

7) To remove the plug for later refilling, simply use a small needlenose pliers and peel off/pull out the glue.