As I said in post #15, I not only violated most of these rules, I encouraged others to do so also. I even broke some rules that weren't stated here by Panos but should have been in my opinion. But there were reasons why I broke the rules.
The
original announcement of the German method by Defcon2k was in 2006. Almost a year later, pharmacist put together
his excellent post on the German method with pictures. Almost two years after that, pharmacist put together
another post including pictures of opaque cartridges with windows in the reservoir. It was at this time that I started to use the German method and I thought from the pictures on this last thread that it was appropriate to make the refill hole as close to the bottom of the cartridge as possible. I stated this on
post #12. I may have also gotten the idea from
post #78 of pharmacist's first thread:
pharmacist said:
The best way is to go under the sponge, but it not harmful if you are piercing through the sponge substance.
Later on in this same thread on
post #139 I asked pharmacist:
ghwellsjr said:
I make the hole as close to the bottom of the cartridge as possible, just above the thickness of the plastic. My blunt needle slides very easily under the sponge along the top of the bottom piece of the plastic cartridge. Why would you try to pierce the sponge material? Am I doing it wrong? I thought this was the way you were supposed to do it.
And he responded:
pharmacist said:
ghwellsjr,
you are doing right: but sometimes it is inevitable to encounter sponge material and then the trick is not the press the sponge together, but to pierce through it (the hole is quickly sealed by surrounding sponge material filling up the cavity, so you will not experience any problems). I try to avoid sponge material as much as possible, but sometimes no luck...
So this deviation from the original statement of the German method started me off on the wrong track because with blunt needles, it is difficult to get the tip of the needle over the lip at the entrance of the reservoir hole so if rotating the needle wouldn't get it in, I would flex the needle down and up in order to get the tip over that lip. Well this enlarged the grove in the sponge that you get with the needle going along its underside. I was aware of this potential problem and so I believed it would create a problem with air flowing directly from the refill hole to the outlet port which is only a short distance away. I expressed my concern in
post #41 of the second thread:
ghwellsjr said:
I recommend sealing the German refill hole to prevent two potential problems:
First, leaving the hole unsealed allows the daily fluctuations in ambient air pressure to gradually dry out the water in the ink and make it more concentrated.
Second, leaving the hole unsealed can interrupt the normal air flow in the cartridge resulting in an ink flow problem. The air normally flows through the air vent above the sponge compartment down through the upper sponge to the groves that go half way up the wall separating the two compartments and into the hole at the bottom of that wall to replace the ink in the reservoir that is drawn out of the cartridge. Instead, as the print head attempts to suck more ink out of the cartridge, it just gets air.
You don't need a seal as good as the one you would need for refilling at the top of the cartridge, just a small piece of flexible tape will do.
I was not the least bit concerned about a leak because if there were any possibility of a leak, it would be more likely to go out the outlet port and we know that doesn't happen.
However, I made another mistake and this even shows in my
second video on German refilling. I re-used the same piece of tape to seal the refill hole. The problem is that ink gets on the adhesive and essentially renders the tape useless and, as panos pointed in post #21 on this thread, it may have even provided a priming path for the ink to leak out. In any case, what I did was not good. What I should have done was remove the old tape, clean off the area around the refill hole and apply a new piece of tape.
So now to test the idea of making the refill hole higher up, I did that and had no trouble pushing a blunt 20 gauge needle through the sponge material where it hit the bottom of the cartridge between the outlet port and the entrance to the reservoir. But try as I might, I could not get the needle into the reservoir. And now I can see why you must use a sharp needle because a simple rotation gets the point of the needle over the lip.
Now I have become convinced, as has been expressed on this thread earlier, that having the hole higher up so that the path of the needle does not go between the sponge and filter on the outlet port, eliminates the problem of the air path from the refill hole to the outlet port so my major concern about sealing the refill hole evaporates. My other concern having to do with the ink drying out is only a factor if you don't refill your cartridges often, say in three months. And as has been pointed out earlier in this thread, having the hole up higher probably eliminates the potential for an ink leak out of the refill hole.
So where does this leave us? I think we need one more rule stated, especially since it is in the original announcement of the German method: use a sharp needle and I personally think it should be 20 gauge.
I've already outlined my concerns about some of the other rules since they aren't in the original announcement but a sharp needle and a small hole above the bottom of the cartridge are the most important.