How many times can I refill HP 21 and 22 Carts?

dougsewell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello again Sorry to be stuck with this but I have been buying remanufactured 21 and 22 carts for my Deskjet D1470 printer. The ink quantity in these is 2 or 3 times more than in the standard HP carts but at refill time the carts often give up on one or two colours and despite flushing and cleaning rigorously I cannot get them back into full working order. I always make sure that the carts never run dry during use to prevent print head burn out. Anyone any experience of refilling these carts successfully more than once. Also are the newer HP21XL and HP22XL carts with more ink successfully refillable?
Doug

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The 21 and 22 cartridges will give you approx. 3 - 5 refills, each time you refill you will notice the cartridge will not accept as much ink as the previous refill. These cartridges eventually need to be flushed clean,spun, dried, then refilled ( the professionals do this every refill , not every 3-5). The colour cartridge is prone to air block, after a refill it has to be primed to get the air out, if not vacuum filled (as the pros do), this is what will cause colours not to print, or cause streaking. You can purchase a do it yourself priming tool on the internet. You can refill the XL cartridges, but the same will apply to them as the ones above.