How long does it take to purge an ink cartridge from start to finish?

guyg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
what brand of wax do u recommend?

Evidently plastic is tough to bond to, a good article on Wiki here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot-melt_adhesive
when they say hot glue they mean it, my wife got a nasty burn from one last week. Use something other than your finger to wipe off any excess.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Generally if the cartridge contains dye ink you should really never need to purge it for refilling.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Tin Ho Generally if the cartridge contains dye ink you should really never need to purge it for refilling.
So are recommending that Guys who have used cheepo inks not purge their cartridges before refilling with good quality inks then?
Is that what youre saying or did I just intrepid it wrong..

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Hats, I think you intrepid it right mate:)
I didn't purge my cartridges of OEM inks & I'm still getting very good looking prints with the mixed OEM & IS inks.........................So far.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
rodbam I didn't purge my cartridges of OEM inks & I'm still getting very good looking prints with the mixed OEM & IS inks.........................So far.
Wow now, youre not suggesting for one moment that I.S. are Cheapo inks,
and this is just a temporary loss of reality on your part, I hope.. :)

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Compared to the prices we pay for OEM ink down here in OZ the IS inks are bargain basement prices. At my age I would be overjoyed if my memory loss was only temporary mate:)
I've just finished doing my first purge on cartridges Roy sent me & I had a great ole time. I had a great sense of achievement when a saw those sponges being nice & white.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
OM2 said:
Can someone tell me how long it takes to purge an ink cartridge from start to finish?
As others mentioned, you really want to do this in batches, rather than one cart at a time.

For traditional top-filling, I used a preliminary step of removing the plastic ball from the inlet port . Took about 35 to 45 minutes to prep 30 virgin empty carts I purchased on eBay. (Note that others recommend making a separate hole above the reservoir and leaving the sealed inlet port alone.)

The actual purging with a 60ml syringe took another 45 minutes or so.

Then another 10 minutes or so to use rubber bands to hold the paper towels to the outlet ports for wicking overnight to get the sponges to a slightly damp-dry state. I've found that dryness level preferred for top refilling for the ink to wick/migrate from the reservoir into the sponge side.

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
l_d_allan said:
As others mentioned, you really want to do this in batches, rather than one cart at a time.

For traditional top-filling, I used a preliminary step of removing the plastic ball from the inlet port . Took about 35 to 45 minutes to prep 30 virgin empty carts I purchased on eBay. (Note that others recommend making a separate hole above the reservoir and leaving the sealed inlet port alone.)

The actual purging with a 60ml syringe took another 45 minutes or so.

Then another 10 minutes or so to use rubber bands to hold the paper towels to the outlet ports for wicking overnight to get the sponges to a slightly damp-dry state. I've found that dryness level preferred for top refilling for the ink to wick/migrate from the reservoir into the sponge side.
that is an awesome reply
that's got all the info i need
one key takeaway is "you really want to do this in batches" - i hadn't really picked up on this if other did say it
to practice, i'll start with one or 2
but will do batches when i get expereinced

thanks!

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
l_d_allan said:
Go slowly at first ... there is a learning curve. The first times I did the steps described above, I was a lot slower. Once you get the hang of it, it goes pretty quickly (which also applies to various steps in refilling).

If you will be doing German refilling, consider an "abbreviated purge/flush" described about half-way down this post .
aaah... well i'm a little confused now
i don't need to drill and take the ball out? it would be a bad idea to do if using the german method?
soak for a few hours in distill water?
let me know

thanks

(i've got the flu at the moment and am not taking in info - so apologies if the explanation is clearly stated in the post!)