How long does it take to purge an ink cartridge from start to finish?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I haven't done German refilling, so "consider the source". My speculation is that you don't want to disturb the area above the reservoir with any holes that could be sources of leaks.

With decent near-empty Canon oem carts that don't have dried up dye ink, I think the concensus on this forum has emerged over the years that the value of purging/flushing isn't necessarily worth it.

I've purchased two batches of "virgin oem empties" from eBay vendors that arrived in very good shape and probably didn't need purging. If you are starting with nasty dried up carts, my inclination would be to throw them away. Also throw away compatible carts.

I noticed that when I set the virgin empties in about 1/4" of water in a pan that the carts kind of "self purged/flushed" themselves. Most of the residual ink left in the cart flowed into the pan, and water from the pan wicked/migrated into the sponge area. Even if there had been dried dye ink, I think this would have been sufficient, and full purging/flushing was not that advantageous. The sponges weren't as pristine white as you get from full purging/flushing, but they weren't too far from it.

I use top-refilling, so I went ahead and purged/flushed. However, my thoughts were "if I was German refilling, this abbreviated flush would probably be sufficient and I can leave the inlet port intact".

And finish with the paper towel wicking.

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
ok... thanks for clearing that up
u have saved me a lot of wasted time - honest, u won't believe how much!
i've recently purchased a hot glue gun for the purpose of drilling and sealing
i'm quite happy though i won't need!

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
l_d_allan said:
I haven't done German refilling, so "consider the source". My speculation is that you don't want to disturb the area above the reservoir with any holes that could be sources of leaks.

With decent near-empty Canon oem carts that don't have dried up dye ink, I think the concensus on this forum has emerged over the years that the value of purging/flushing isn't necessarily worth it.

I've purchased two batches of "virgin oem empties" from eBay vendors that arrived in very good shape and probably didn't need purging. If you are starting with nasty dried up carts, my inclination would be to throw them away. Also throw away compatible carts.

I noticed that when I set the virgin empties in about 1/4" of water in a pan that the carts kind of "self purged/flushed" themselves. Most of the residual ink left in the cart flowed into the pan, and water from the pan wicked/migrated into the sponge area. Even if there had been dried dye ink, I think this would have been sufficient, and full purging/flushing was not that advantageous. The sponges weren't as pristine white as you get from full purging/flushing, but they weren't too far from it.

I use top-refilling, so I went ahead and purged/flushed. However, my thoughts were "if I was German refilling, this abbreviated flush would probably be sufficient and I can leave the inlet port intact".

And finish with the paper towel wicking.
i've read your post a little more

bad carts? this might be a dumb thing to say - but can there be a bad cart?
surely if you purge, u get back (as near to as possible) a new cart?
we're only talking about a sponge here + the nozzle part

u mention soaking in 1/4" water?
is that distill water?

u do top filling? why don't u do german? if u got a new cart that had never been refilled, then what would ur choice of refilling be?

thanks

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
OM2 said:
u do top filling? why don't u do german? if u got a new cart that had never been refilled, then what would ur choice of refilling be?
I have lately become hesitant to express strong, less than positive opinions about German refilling. As I have repeatedly expressed, I am basically ignorant about it since I have never tried refilling with that method. We can discuss off-line if you would like.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
OM2 said:
bad carts? this might be a dumb thing to say - but can there be a bad cart?

surely if you purge, u get back (as near to as possible) a new cart?

we're only talking about a sponge here + the nozzle part

u mention soaking in 1/4" water?
is that distill water?
My answer of "how-to and why-it-matters" would be extended, which is frowned on.

"Sorry for the long reply ... I didn't have time to make it shorter." (attr to many)

We can discuss your questions off-line if my thoughts and opinons would be of interest.

Latest posts