How does Kirkland glossy compare to Canon Plus Glossy II.

InkFu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm curious how Kirkland Signature Professional Glossy paper stands up to the Canon Plus Glossy II. I've already tried a couple third-party photo papers; Royal Brite, Staples. However, I've had problems with both. One being that even after twenty-four hours of drying it's still possible to smudge the ink. Two, if I try to print using the high quality setting the ink pools and looks blotchy. I would guess it's because the ink isn't being absorbed into the paper. Has anyone experienced this with Kirkland's brand paper? Does it compare well with Canon Plus Glossy II?

InkFu

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
What printer and inks are you using?

The Kirkland photo paper works well with Canon dye-based inks. I do not know how well it behaves with pigment ink.

The type of paper you use has a tremendous effect on print quality and longevity as you have discovered. Some reading for you here, here, and here .

InkFu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm using Precision Colors ink. I'll take a look at the PDFs you posted later today.
Thanks for the help.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Kirkland glossy photo paper and IS dye-based inks work fine in my Canon printers. My setting in the canon driver is "glossy photo paper" and I don't experience smudging or pooled ink.

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I use only Kirkland professional glossy inkjet photo paper with my Epson 1400 using Claria ( Type) dye based ink and I have on occasion demonstrated the color fastness of this combo ink/paper for friends by printing a full color page of a photograph and within a few minutes putting that print under a running water facet in the sink. I have yet to see any evidence of ink running or changing in any way and after drying it is as it was before doing that experiment. I was very surprised that I could do that the first time I tried it.

siusiuenen

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Other than bronzing issue , Kirkland glossy paper I used to print on Pigment printer just fine .

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
stratman said:
What printer and inks are you using?

The Kirkland photo paper works well with Canon dye-based inks. I do not know how well it behaves with pigment ink.

The type of paper you use has a tremendous effect on print quality and longevity as you have discovered. Some reading for you here, here, and here .
Thanks for your references. The first one particularly makes interesting reading.

Regards Ian

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
YW

The reading is fairly straight forward. The difficulty is figuring out what type of paper you are buying before you buy it. The manufacturers generally do not advertize if the paper is porous or swellable, etc.

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone even sell universally compatible swellable paper? I know for HPs you can't use their higher end papers (which used to be swellable, not sure about the current generation) in other brands because the colors are a train wreck (though I guess you could try making an ICC profile for them). Red River papers were all microporous when I looked through their website (perfectly happy with them, btw). It seems that for swellable papers it needs to be matched to the inks, so only printer branded papers use that type, and I think most of them are microporous anyway.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
For years, I have been using (swellable) Ilford Classic Pearl for the large prints that I frame because of its superior fading resistance to ozone, using both Sensient and IS dye inks. Because the ink takes longer to penetrate a swellable layer, it is generally recommended to use a printer setting that slows the print speed to minimize the possibility of ink pooling when using a swellable paper. Unfortunately, it is now very difficult to locate additional supplies of this paper in the 13x19 size.