How do you refill a canon IP6700d?

Hamish

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone know which cartridge hole I need to puncture to refill?
I bought a "Just Refill" black ink replacement kit that said it was for canon printers, but it doesn't have instructions for my printer :( !

Many thanks/

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You have to be very cautious about using a generic ink, especially black. Your printer uses only dye based inks but many other Canon printers also include a pigment based black ink in a wider cartridge for printing on plain paper where it will not smear if the page gets wet after printing.

There's a good chance, unless the package states that it is a photo black ink or a dye based black ink, that your refill ink might be pigment based. If you put that in your black cartridge, it will clog your print head because the pigment particles are too large to go through the nozzles designed for dye ink. You probably will not be able to unclog it if this happens.

But, to answer your question, there are many ways to refill Canon cartridges like the ones your printer uses. Most people remove the label above the reservoir and punch out the small ball that forms a plug in the refill hole that is already present. Then you will need some type of air tight plug to reseal the hole after you're done. Some people get little rubber plugs designed for this purpose, other people use some type of sealant, and some people use a screw with an O-ring.

There are other methods and you should do a lot of research on this forum before you start. One thing you should be aware of is that your printer will know that you have refilled the cartridge and will ask you if you want to void the warranty before continuing. It will also disable the ink level monitoring if you do this, so you will have to periodically remove all your refilled cartridges and visually inspect them to know when to refill again. Failure to refill on time can damage the print head. If I had one of these new printers that have the smart cartridges, I would not void the warranty but buy new Canon cartridges until a year is up and then use the supply of cartridges for refilling.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Best way to refill is using vacuum. This way nothing needs to be done to the cartridge. It's safe too :) Use search to find detailed info on this forum about using this technique.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Hamish said:
Hi all,

Does anyone know which cartridge hole I need to puncture to refill?
I bought a "Just Refill" black ink replacement kit that said it was for canon printers, but it doesn't have instructions for my printer :( !

Many thanks/
I would not use this stuff.
It is not a known good brand and is not specific to your printer (carts)
No instructions !
This sounds like "universal ink" which doesn't really exist anyway...
Run the other way.

If you really want to refill at this stage (I like the idea of using OEM ink for starters), search the forum for threads dealing with refilling the carts that your printer uses.

If you can't find anything, start a new thread...I'm sure you will get some great advice.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Smile said:
Best way to refill is using vacuum. This way nothing needs to be done to the cartridge. It's safe too :) Use search to find detailed info on this forum about using this technique.
Well, I agree about vacuum refilling--that's what I do. In fact I wrote an article about it but it's not on the forum, the link to it is on the nifty-stuff.com home page. Click on the link at the top of this page and then click on one of the vacuum refill links.

Even though I prefer vacuum refilling, I wouldn't recommend it to fill just one cartridge because it's kind of messy and you will waste too much ink to make it worth while. But if you buy Canon cartridges for a year of printer use until your warranty expires, you should have several (of each color) that you can refill all at once making it more worthwhile.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
ghwellsjr said:
Smile said:
Well, I agree about vacuum refilling--that's what I do. In fact I wrote an article about it but it's not on the forum, the link to it is on the nifty-stuff.com home page. Click on the link at the top of this page and then click on one of the vacuum refill links.

Even though I prefer vacuum refilling, I wouldn't recommend it to fill just one cartridge because it's kind of messy and you will waste too much ink to make it worth while. But if you buy Canon cartridges for a year of printer use until your warranty expires, you should have several (of each color) that you can refill all at once making it more worthwhile.
Well I use to refill one BCI-8 cartridge and I waste about ~1 to 1.5 (ml) milliliters of ink on average. I do it one by one. That's not that much when printers use about ~0.3 to 0.5 (ml) mililiters per clean (from all cartriges that is).

Everything was counted using very precise Laboratory Weights.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Maybe you have a better way to vacuum fill just one cartridge at a time. Do you have a smaller container that you put the cartridge in so you don't have to fill the entire vacuum chamber?