How do I tell which print head goes with which printer?

Ginny

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am soaking 2 printheads to try to unclog them. One if from an ip4200, the other from an ip4000. Stupidly, I have managed to mix them up. Now I can't tell which is which. They both have printed on them: GCMK-G2X, PPE +PS, D3, and Made in Japan. One says A11, the other says C6. They both fit both carriages. So what's the difference? Can I screw up either printer by using one or the other printhead?? Thanks, Ginny

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The Canon part number for the iP4000 print head is QY6-0049 and for the iP4200 print head it is QY6-0059. If front of the print heads is where you insert the cartridges, then the part number is engraved on the left side of the print head. Look carefully and use a good light, as the type number might not be very clearly marked.

It is very important not to place a print head in a wrong printer. You risk ruining both the print head and the logic board in the printer, making the printer a total loss.

Ginny

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you!! It certainly isn't obvious. I didn't think to look on the side. And I appreciate your quick response, PeterBJ.

Much as I hate to admit to the world that I have made 2 stupid mistakes only hours apart, I figure I ought to, for those who could be misled by my first mistake. The reason my 2 printheads are impossible to tell apart, now that I've found their part numbers, is because they are both for the ip4000. I won't even tell you all how I didn't have the ip4200 in my cleaning solution.