How Do I Prevent This From Happening Again?

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
This is the second time that I've seen this on my monitor. When I installed the printer I checked off to never update anything for the printer. This has shown up 2 times now without me doing anything to initiate it. I'm running windows 8.1 if that matters.
Capture.PNG

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
If you can locate the update process, you might be able to delete it. Else, just click the box that says "Don't show this message again" and click close. Win 8 is probably the souce of the issue, not Epson...

kittiekat

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MP145
Win8 sure does a lot of compatibility issues not only to printers, but to other software and hardware too.

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
I'm not the least bit concerned with the fact that W8 might or might not have problems with compatibility. What I'm concerned with is the fact that my printer is TRYING to update itself and I DON'T want it to. I'm afraid if it does I'll not be able to use the resettable carts that I'm now refilling. I can't find where this action is started from. If I could I'd disable it. I realize that right now it isn't doing any harm because it won't run. But if W8 corrects the incompatibility problem it may run without my knowledge and update my printer with newer firmware and that may cause me grief.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Doesn't this behaviour of the updater program fit one of the definitions of malware?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Doesn't this behaviour of the updater program fit one of the definitions of malware?
Pretty sure Windows itself has fit that definition more than once...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
What I'm concerned with is the fact that my printer is TRYING to update itself and I DON'T want it to.
How do you know it is the printer trying to update itself that is the cause of the pop up window? Are there reports of printer updates turned off and yet being updated? It may be possible, but, is there documentation?

Be on the lookout for an update to your printer via Windows Update and not via the printer itself. Windows does suggest non-OS updates, such as for video cards and controller cards, though it has never suggested a printer update in my years of use.

But if W8 corrects the incompatibility problem it may run without my knowledge and update my printer with newer firmware and that may cause me grief.
OK about updating your printer but you've entered into SciFi territory if you think Windows will self anneal like a Terminator. Bill Gates may be a robot but the aliens haven't allowed the technology to be shared with humans yet. ;)

More info on the Program Compatibility Assistant including why it may appear even if the hardware you installed works and how to disable (if you don't just tic the box to not show again): http://windows.microsoft.com/en-sg/windows/program-compatibility-assistant-faq#1TC=windows-8,

Also, take a look at http://www.newzhome.com/how-to-solve-program-compatibility-issues-in-windows-8/.

I would uninstall and reinstall the printer with the most up to date drivers. If the pop up window persists then try uninstalling and reinstalling using compatibility mode. If that doesn't work then click installed correctly, or, do not show message again as long as the printer is functioning properly. Your Epson Artisan 837 appears to have Windows 8 drivers.