How do I prevent over-filling?

martin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ltsang said:
Now slowly
inject ink through these holes (about 3 mil each color) until you see ink just start to form a drop
from the other end that tells you the sponge is saturated and further inject of ink will just drip from
the opening.
Hi and thanks for the reply. Filling to saturation was when I'd run into problems such as messy wet black streaks on the first few prints and, more recently, poor colour printing that no amount of deep cleaning cleared. On removing the printer casing, I could see quite a mess in the purge-unit area of ink splashes. Also, I understood why the nozzles got blocked: there are a couple of clear plastic wiper strips that wipe away any dust from the nozzles but these were geting coated with ink and were then spreading the mess over the nozzles. (I found that hot water and a dash of ammonia and careful use of the suction from a vacuum cleaner cleared any obstinate nozzle blockages.)

It seems on my setup that I have to take the cartridge a little way below saturation - to the point where there's no more weepage out of the nozzles at all. ( I now remove the print head complete with carts and store the unit in a moist airtight container the fridge.)

And so far so good - it's now printing as good as new (by comparing the Digital Dog test prints).

Thanks again for your comments.

Martin

mrjenkins

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I can usually fill the carts with more ink than the oem standard. but one thing you need to keep in mind is that you need to empty the carts completely before filling, then, you simply have to run trial and error on the ink levels

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
You can fill up the cartridge with all the ink it will take. Then apply a technique called by people on this forum: milk the cartridge. What it means is to squeeze the cartridge to give some pressure to the sponge inside. Ink will drip out from the large exit hole at the bottom. Just get a few drops of ink out. That is enough to de-saturate the sponge.