How can I install only printer drivers for MB5120?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
As I warned. Try disabling Fax per my destructions instructions above. Hopefully it will stay disabled.
Nope, it still comes back..
Why the desire to uninstall the Fax capability?
I just hate having the thing there because it will never be used, it just gets in the Feckin way..
I’m working on my next idea, I’ll try and disable the reinstall so the same thing can’t happen again.
P.S. I don't use SSD drives

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Some early Canon all-in-ones with Fax would only function with OEM cartridges still showing ink. They would not function if ink monitoring had been disabled. I don't remember if Fax only was blocked if the ink monitoring had been disabled or all printer functions were locked.

Does something similar apply to the Maxifys?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Nope, it still comes back..
Disabling was not a more permanent solution?

it just gets in the Feckin way..
How so?

If you want to save a minuscule amount of RAM at boot then you can stop the Fax service from loading at boot. You may not be able to use the fax when this setting is stopped.

FYI In Windows, a Right Click opens a new window or menu. Left Click selects and performs an action.

• Right click on Start.
  • Left click on Task Manager.
  • Click on Services tab on top right.
  • Scroll down to Fax and Right Click to bring up sub menu.
  • Click on Stop

If you want to dumpster dive deeper then
  • Right Click on Open Services instead of Stop.
  • A new window opens. Scroll down and Right Click on Fax.
  • From here you can Stop, Start, Disable, etc the service for Fax. Windows always has more than one way to get things done.
  • More interesting, Left Click on Properties and you can do the same functions PLUS you actually see the file name and location for the Fax app. Deleting this file will probably result in Windows installing it again.

In all, it appears there are about 5 MegaBytes of files on my drive used for the Fax function.

Fax Files.jpg

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
How so? If you want to save a minuscule amount of RAM at boot then you can stop the Fax service from loading at boot. You may not be able to use the fax when this setting is stopped.
What part of it do you not get, I just don’t want the Feckin thing on the menu in the first place when I click on the Maxify logo, saving space was never the issue.
FYI In Windows, a Right Click opens a new window or menu. Left Click selects and performs an action.
I have already told you that your explanation doesn’t work, because my Maxify Fax was never running in the first place..

Thanks for the long-winded explanation anyway..:hugs

P.S. I may have to resort to stopping it from phoning home when I delete the driver next time..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@bluestang

Nice post. :thumbsup

The article is 4 years old and Windows 10 has changed a little bit. Control panel is not on my Start menu but can be found with a search.

However, for the procedure you showed, I can bypass Control Panel and click on Start then System and continue with the instructions. Step #2 is bypassed and you start with #3. Also, "Advanced System Settings" in on the right side.

Interested to hear how this works out.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
P.S. I may have to resort to stopping it from phoning home when I delete the driver next time..
I don’t know if this is too much for the average guy to follow and use, but it does work, because the Maxify Fax is no more on my system..

How’s them for apples @stratman..

Attachments

• Fax Removal.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 180

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
That's weird. I mean, all the fuss having to go to the Windows registry, remove entries and then use external utilities to get rid of the feckin fax.
In my case it was as simple as going to 'printers and devices' in the control panel, click the right button of the mouse, over the Canon MB5100FAX icon, scroll down to 'remove device'. The fax was gone and never came back.
When I installed my second Maxify MB5150 I had to do that again of course.. and it worked too.

Last edited: