Homemade CISS

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Old thread, but as I read in the druckerchannel forum "b200" means the printhead is killed - or at least blocked.
Probably due to overheated single nozzles printing without ink in line ... this can hardly be seen in the print but it can kill the small electrical board on the printhead over time.
This defect COULD have damage the mainboard of the printer too - which subsequently will kill new printheads that you put in this printer. There is a little chance to get it work again, you can try to flush the printhead or put another (old not new) printhead in .. with the risk to kill that too...

But here is my main question:

CISS for canon are said to be not reliable..
.. is that still true ??

Or is there a CISS for canon (cli-8) nowadays, which works fine, because of new design?!
One should think there must be one...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Canon make their printers in such a way that makes CISS installation and operation very difficult for the owner, so any poorly or badly installed CISS tends to fail sooner rather than later, however a CISS correctly installed and very well maintained with work almost flawlessly.

The better alternative to a CISS is to refill the existing OEM cartridges with good ink while using a resetter for the chip, use this setup for easier and more controllable less expensive quality printing.. :)

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
The Hat, I am happy with refilling OEM carts on my mp810 (which I am using mostly, a good printer with ccd-scanner, also for slides)
But I am curious to find a good ciss, want to try it first on old ip4000 or an ip4500 which I have in stock.
Which are the newest and best designed CISS for pixma's? And what are the main issues:
Sealing of the carts, with sponges or without, what kind of tanks, mounting of the tubes, etc...

And does anybody know "bursten nano carts"?
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/damper-for-ciss-canon-ip8500-necessary.8135/

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The main problem inside any Canon printer is space or lack of it, (Deliberately so) and getting the tubing correctly positioned is the Holy Grail, any of the standard CISS sold will work with no difficulty but again it’s the installation that's crucial.

Most CISS units can be bought full or empty, your choice and the same unit will work in both the 4000 and 4500 printers, good luck.
here is a typical CISS Unit..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@The Hat -- The Rihac CISS systems seem to be the Cadillac of CISS'es. The Piano Book CISS'es also seem to be in the luxury class as well.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
The Epson Artisan series seem to be ideal for CISS installation, because they effectively already contain them! The carts are stationary and are connected to the printhead with flex tubes as designed...

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
...and the same unit will work in both the 4000 and 4500 printers, good luck.
Yes I saw this on ebay it is not the cheapest.
But the carts for ip4000 are different from ip4500
- 4000 no chips, but one more ridge on the back and one underneath to hold them in the printhead / carrier.
This can be important for sealing - also for refillers who are thinking that cli-8 carts could replace bci-6 carts. The chips doesn't matter but the mounting can be not firm enough.

This ciss for ip4000 has carts without chips (correct) hopefully it has the extra ridges.
I found only one more ciss specific for non-chipped ip4000, it is cheaper - but it looks cheaper made too... The others around are described as ip4000-4200-4500 compatible, but will they hold firmly in a ip4000...?

Picture of CLI and BCI (flushed for refill):
bci-cli.JPG

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Al dough the 4000 doesn’t use a chip and takes the BCI-6 cartridge, the CLI-8 cartridge works exactly the same no difference, I use the BCI-6 and CLI-8 cartridges in my i9950 so I know they will fit.

It doesn’t matter where you buy your CISS from they are much the same price and probably all made in china so only get one at a reputable ink suppliers, they also usually give good installation instruction.

Try this site and choose the iP4500 CISS which will then do both machines with or without ink.
http://www.cityinkexpress.co.uk/ciss/canon/ip4500/ip-series

I still think the CISS is a waste of money and the best way to kill two very good printers, that’s my two cent worth..:(

flyboy

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-3750
Just noticed the thread. Is it still working?