HobbiColors now offers "new" version of Black Pigment ink!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ghwellsjr

I dont recall anywhere in my thread calling Dave a liar, what I said was for Hobbicolors or himself not to have being aware of any problems
with their ink was a bit in creditable, I also said its more likely a sales pitch.
Now if anybody also thinks different then I will withdraw and apologise for the offending remark as it was not directed at Dave himself personally. :hide

On another note I couldnt recommend Inktec pigment ink either but I can their dye inks and also Hobbicolors dye.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
"For a supplier to say they werent aware of any problems is utter bull" sounds to me like calling him a liar. But, thanks for your clarification.

Grandexp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
ghwellsjr

I dont recall anywhere in my thread calling Dave a liar, what I said was for Hobbicolors or himself not to have being aware of any problems
with their ink was a bit in creditable, I also said its more likely a sales pitch.
Now if anybody also thinks different then I will withdraw and apologise for the offending remark as it was not directed at Dave himself personally. :hide
Hat, I have been one who debated in threads related to the subject before. You missed an important point in his words. This is Dave's words according to turbguy:

"I have never heard of any complaints from anyone about clogged purge unit."

Now let's look at your words:

"what I said was for Hobbicolors or himself not to have being aware of any problems with their ink was a bit in creditable, I also said its more likely a sales pitch."

"Problems with clogged purge unit" and "problems with their ink" is totally different. You stabbed Dave's back for a crime he did not commit.

How many people have actually took apart his/her printer to check if the purge unit is clogged? If not many then how would one complain about clogged purge unit? Probably not.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Grandexp said:
How many people have actually took apart his/her printer to check if the purge unit is clogged? If not many then how would one complain about clogged purge unit? Probably not.
You make a great point. If it weren't for the fact that I was having the same problem on several different printers at the same time, and following another person's similar problem on the forum, and getting a report from Germany that the problem was the purge unit clogging, I probably just would have written it off to the normal death of a printer, like when a print head spontaneously going bad.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Another response from Dave at Hobbicolors...

Dear Wayne:

I looked it up. There was a revision in Spring 2011 and another one in January 2012. The manufacturer never gave detailed info about the revision. The revision in 2011 accompanied with a price hike. I don't think those revisions was the cause of your problem. Keep in mind that there were a lot of customers used it. We tested it by using it everyday. It has been a very popular ink. I am really surprised.

The most likelihood is we had a bad batch of ink that affected you and a few others. Please consider one scenario. Inkjet printers last only a few years mostly. When they quit they mostly quit with a printing problem. The cause could be a combination of many other causes and a cause of a bad ink.

I talked to a factory rep today. I was assured that the ink QC is always done 100% from batch to batch. They have their test method much more complex in nature.

I will mail you a sample bottle of the current production PMT-BK tomorrow for your evaluation. I am pretty confident that the ink will work perfectly as it should.

Again my apologies for the problem. I wish I had a chance to help. Please always feel free to email us whenever you need support.

Best wishes,

Dave at Hobbicolors

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
My reply to Dave...

You bring up some good information, and a question as well.

Exactly what does Quality Control of an ink consist of? What ink properties do they measure, and what are the acceptance criteria.

Wayne

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Dave's response...

Dear Wayne:

The details of the manufacturer's QC is not something I have much knowledge about. I believe QC takes place in every step of the manufacturing process. When the ink is bottled and sealed I think it is it and the ink will be just waiting to be shipped. Here are something I know from the manufacturer's brochure.

* Use of reverse osmosis grade water.
* Quality control in pH, conductivity, gravity, particle size/stability analysis, surface tension, and viscosity, .
* ISO 24711 testing

Hope this helps. Thanks a lot for the inquiry.

Best wishes,

Dave at Hobbicolors

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
The scope of ISO/IEC 24711:2006 is limited to evaluation of ink cartridge page yield for ink-containing cartridges (i.e. integrated ink cartridges and ink cartridges without integrated print heads) for colour inkjet printers. It can also be applied to the printer component of any multifunctional device that has a digital input printing path, including multi-function devices that contain inkjet printer components. Both liquid and solid ink products can be tested using ISO/IEC 24711:2006.