Hi from ummery Johannesburg South Africa

secreteagle

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP DesignJet 9000s
*Summer-y
(sorry it posted by accident before I could finish writing)

Hi pleased to meet you, thanks for reading ..feel free to drop me a line any time

I love printers, printing & signage. The people, the machines devices and systems, the consumables inks, media and substrates & the endless creative possibilities & innovations (even the 'problems').

Computer programmer the last 30 years & hopefully my signage hobby now will turn into a more full time occupation, something I'm enjoying more than coding.

I'm not much of a designer or artist, more into the tech side or things and innovation.

Looking forward to meet like minded folks & share experiences, advice and ideas.

my 6 "W"'s,

Where I've been:

As a youngster in my contract programming career, somebody (can't recall who) suggested looking into print & sign in all the free time & energy available.
I was hooked almost immediately.
Turned into a hobby doing vinyl, print and outsourced signage over the last 22 years, mostly for friends and family.
Signage shows, events, demos, training anything related to signs & printing has fascinated me over the last 2 decades.
Spent a lot of money setting up a basic sign shop and speedily lost it all, wonderful lessons and expensive school fees paid.
Learnt a lot, a lot to learn yet, in an ever changing amazing field this is ongoing daily.

What I have (and had):
2 HP DesignJet 9000s eco-solvents ~ they stood for years, need to be serviced.
3 Encad/Novajets aqueous dye inks - various models 750, 850, 2042
1 Dazzlejet GoldenSign eco-solvent
1 Calcomp Techjet 44"
1 Mimaki contour cutter
1 Sublimation heat transfer roller
1 Cold laminator
Loads of desktop inkjets for experimenting with inks.
Had: Creation PCUT vinyl cutter & various other cutters, various desktop sublimation printers Epson & Ricoh, heat presses, mug presses, silk screen equipment.

What I've done:
Acquire machines, substrates, inks to try them out, resell and move to the next technology.
Hobby signage & attending events, learning as much as possible from people & online/print sources, books and magazines.
Attempt innovation of new products & how things could be done differently maybe.
Recently started taking apart & `servicing` (rather learning how to) my collection of machines.
Broken stuff - printheads, encoder strips, and and and - usually underestimating how fragile and delicate these machines can be.
Gotten inks, solvent flushing fluids etc in my face eyes ears over my clothes and body - it's fun

What the future holds:
Set up small production sign shop.
Digital sign screens & the new digital wallpaper/curtains promised will change everything (if/when)
Qualify as a LFP repair/service technician.
Develop & market at least one new innovative international signage product.

Wishlist:
Vacuum formed sublimation printed production line.
Latex machine - water based inks are very appealing to me (HP possibly)
Flatbed machine - opens up a host of new products.
3D printer - great for prototyping & small parts/tools.
CNC & Desktop IM - injection molding - small batches of parts/fittings.

What I've learnt!
Most amazing people in this vast field, perhaps the fusion of creative & tech energy.
You need a good amount of patience. (lots of money can help, but you learn less then)
As in life & any industry you get (1) Good guys (2) Crooks ~ you learn to distinguish.
Where there's a will there's a way - never give up - also, dream really really BIG

Last edited: