Hi From France

Paul Edmunds

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 100s
Hello, I have just joined. My wife and I run a Photographic Holiday tuition business in S/W France 'French Photographic Holidays'. As part of the deal we offer every guest a selection of their 'work' printed A3+ to take away with them. Long story short, my second Epson R3000 has just died on me and my 43 years in commercial printing has failed to resurrect it. I now have a Canon Pixma Pro 100s (arrived yesterday). So...I'm looking for cart refill advice with 'kit' that maybe available in France if not the UK.

Is Octoink the same as Precision Colours?

Looking forward to being am member.

Best regards

Paul
French Photographic Holidays

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi Paul and welcome, sorry for your loss, but printers do have a heaven too, you’ve got yourself the best dye printer replacement on the market and it won’t let you down, it’s an outstanding printer and very different to any Epson.

All the advice you need or want can be found here in many of our posts, and there are friendly members here too who’ll talk you through any problem you might run into, don’t try to solve it yourself first, that could easily end in disaster.

You can get just about anything you need in OctoInkjet, they are very well stocked with supplies, they are the Refillers dream place to go too in the EU.
There are do’s and don’ts with every printer and Canon work differently than Epson printers, been experienced with one brand may not necessary help you with the second.

If you are selling your prints then it’s advisable to use only OEM inks and paper, but for everything else the 3rd party inks are more than adequate in holding their own, you can have one set of OEM filled carts for important jobs, and another set with 3rd party inks to give you all the best options...

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Welcome Paul,

The Hat's advice is sound. There are different quirks with every manufacturer and printer, so read through all the Pro 100 threads here and you will have the best info on refilling etc.

Happy refilling ;)

Paul Edmunds

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 100s
Hi Paul and welcome, sorry for your loss, but printers do have a heaven too, you’ve got yourself the best dye printer replacement on the market and it won’t let you down, it’s an outstanding printer and very different to any Epson.

All the advice you need or want can be found here in many of our posts, and there are friendly members here too who’ll talk you through any problem you might run into, don’t try to solve it yourself first, that could easily end in disaster.

You can get just about anything you need in OctoInkjet, they are very well stocked with supplies, they are the Refillers dream place to go too in the EU.
There are do’s and don’ts with every printer and Canon work differently than Epson printers, been experienced with one brand may not necessary help you with the second.

If you are selling your prints then it’s advisable to use only OEM inks and paper, but for everything else the 3rd party inks are more than adequate in holding their own, you can have one set of OEM filled carts for important jobs, and another set with 3rd party inks to give you all the best options...

Thank you for your welcome. So am I right in thinking the Octoprint ink is not as lightfast?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
So am I right in thinking the Octoprint ink is not as lightfast?
There are regrettably no 3rd party refill inks in terms of lightfastness/UV stability as good or even close to as the genuine Chromalife Canon inks, and the same is true for Epson Claria inks. If lightfastness is your concern you would need to stick to the Canon inks , or think about switching to a pigment ink based printer, the choice of good performing 3rd party refill pigment inks is wider.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, Paul.

So am I right in thinking the Octoprint ink is not as lightfast?
As good or better than any third party refill ink. Octoink inks are excellent and highly recommended on this forum because of their quality. The owner of Octoink is a forum member named Websnail. He is honest, dependable and a genuinely nice guy.

The Pro 100 is a dye-based ink printer. It is top of the food chain in the consumer ("prosumer") line of Canon dye-based ink printers. Canon OEM dye-based ink will have best lightfastness compared to aftermarket third party dye-based inks. In general, dye-based ink will be less lightfast compared to pigment-based ink.

If longevity of the print is a primary objective then use a pigment-based printer. If you use a Canon ink-based printer then use OEM Canon ink.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Printer, inks and paper work together as a system. So for the Canon OEM inks to give the best fade resistance Canon OEM papers should also be used with the Pro-100.

Paul Edmunds

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 100s
Apologies, apologies, apologies; I have a Pixma Pro10s, not a 100! Piment Ink, so could I use Octoink and expect reasonably long life prints to sell?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
could I use Octoink and expect reasonably long life prints to sell?
Most certainly, the pigment ink fades far less than the dye inks and are a very good choice, I use pigment inks from OctoInkjet...