Hey everyone, im new

BTAKasper

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Well, I've read a bunch of posts on here and it seems as if everyone recommends a different printer. I currently have an HP Deskjet D2345...it's a pain in the *** to refill as the taping off connectors doesn't seem to work for me. It won't adjust ink levels and eventually will go into backup print mode which is basically poor poor quality. I'm looking into getting a more easier to refill printer (without chipped cartridges) and was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. I was looking up the iP6000D but brand new they are out of my price range. Although the clear tanks sounds like a great idea to me. I read on here to make sure it uses the BCI-6 and BCI-3eBK and not the CLI-8 and PGI-5BK as they are chipped. Does the iP6000D use the BCI-6 and BCI-3eBK cart? Or is it some do and some don't?

Also I print alot of DVD Covers and such, so I do more images then anything else. I don't care so much for quality as long as it looks decent. I also want a printer that is able to print onto CDs and DVDs. I noticed the iP6000D can do this? Would this one be my best bet? I was looking for a cheaper price range more or less 80 and under, but I figured I couldn't get all this for a cheap price.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just recently got into printing things as before I never really had a use for a printer. Mainly used my comp for gaming, internet, and other multimedia. But since I'm about to have a son I figured it would be a great way to start printing photos from my digital cameras. Thanks in advance!

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Welcome, BTAKasper, to the best forum on the internet. You won't be a Newbie for long.

You can find out information on any Canon printer at this link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndex1Act&fcategoryid=103

If you enter ip6000d and select a link that tells you which cartridges, you will see that it has only BCI-6 carts. All printers of a given model use the same carts. The iP6000D does not use a BCI-3eBK pigment black cart which is used only on plain paper.

You should also be aware that any Canon printer that you buy in the US will not come ready to print on CDs or DVDs. You have to also buy or make a carrier for the disk.

If you want to buy a different printer, you should get one that also includes a BCI-6BK cartridge, like the iP6000D does, because otherwise your black images on your CDs and CD labels will not come out very dark.

In my opinion, the cost of a printer soon gets lost in the cost of ink if you don't get one that is easily filled.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to the board, BTAKasper . You will find a lot of knowledgeable people here ready to help. Your printer uses the very small #21 and # 22 carts. These CAN be refilled easily, but yes, they are chipped. Your printer remembers the last 2 cartridges, so what you have to do is keep 2 old empties of each colour. When your ink runs out, put in an old cartridge, and let the printer run through it's cycle. Then repeat with the 2nd old cartridge. Now, you can put in your freshly refilled cartridge, and the printer will reset it's level back to full. Also, use pigmented ink in these printers; dye-based ink will give you a poorer result.
The 6000D is a decent photo printer, but is very slow. if you can find an ip 3000 or ip4000. you then can use compatibles and your printing costs will go down. The 3000 and 4000 models use the BCI-3 black, and the BCI-6 colours. The 6000 uses 6 cartridges, all of them BCI-6.

Good Luck!!

BTAKasper

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the information everyone! I appreciate it. I'll look into some of the others you both have suggested. I really just wanted to get rid of this HP cause i feel the photo quality printing isn't exactly up to my standards and i bought it for 30 bucks around the holidays as a quick fix after my Epson Stylus C82 (i believe) died.