Help with Inkgrabber carts & Canon I960

monkeyboy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi everyone, new member here as I've just discovered this forum.

I'm a newbie when it comes to printing photos and all the technical details that can go along with it, so bare with me here.

My printer is a Canon I-960. I've used oem inks since I've had the printer (about a year or so). I've been using Office Depot paper and have always been very pleased with the results. I've never used or tried profiles, not really even sure what that means to be honest with you. I don't use any fancy photo software, just the basic program that came with the printer. The one that pops up when you hit print. I've always just used the automatic setting and sometimes utilize the photo noise reduction, or vivid photo, etc options. Like I mentioned before, my photos have always been very nice, people think I've had them printed by a lab.

Just started using some of the inkgrabber carts, so far only the photo magenta and photo cyan. My photos all have an overly greenish tint now. Skin tones are more greenish / olive looking. The colors all use to have a nice pop to them, now most prints seem darker and like I said before, an overall greenish hue.

Please help me understand color control settings and what else to do to get my photos looking good again. I hate to have to pay the price for the oem inks, but, like I mentioned before, all I had to do before was hit "print" and I was good to go.

Thanks.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Monkeyboy (love that handle),

Give the profile at (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=134) at try. Yours is a 6 color printer vs. the 8 colors used to generate the profile, but the red and green inks aren't used in any great volume, so it might be close enough. The NewIG carts also originally gave me a similar color cast, so there is a good chance that ther profile will help, even if it is not perfect. I have never used Office Depot paper and I don't know how close it is to the Kirkland paper, so you may also want to try the three Ilford profiles to see if any of the 4 profiles gives you what you want.

See Post #2 in (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=118) for instructions on how to activate the profile from the standard MS driver - be sure to follow the instructions to the letter. Use the section on "Printing with Microsoft's Photo Wizard". You can select "Preferences" for this single print request when the printer Dialog box pops up.

If you like the results, you can make the preferences your defaults by "Control Panel/Printers and Faxes", right click on the printer to get access to the "Preferences".

monkeyboy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Grandad35-

Thanks for the input. For some reason, I cannot open the profile you listed. I'm getting an unable to open message.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Monkeyboy,

I just tried it and it worked fine for me (including the download). You can't cut and paste a URL from this forum into your browser - you must click on the URL in the post. The reason is that the software used for the forum shortens long URLs - when URLs are copied, a part of the string may be missing.

monkeyboy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Grandad35-

Not sure what the problem is, I'll have to try my home pc after work.

The message box reads "Windows cannot open this file"
File: 19900_kirk_newig_3-17-05[1].icc

"To open this file, windows needs to know what program created it"

I did click directly on the link as you suggested.

Hopefully my home pc will not have this issue.

Thanks.