Help with ink cartridge and printer selection

fdm2000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My daughter and I have printers that use Canon CLI 221 and PGI-220BK cartridges. Her recently expired dead printer is an IP4700 and my printer is an MX870. We have a large supple of cartridges and bulk ink and wonder if there still might be any available printers that one can purchase that use the above cartridges.

A cursory search online failed to find either the MX870 or the iP4700 still being sold.

Would anyone know of any available current printers that use the above cartridges? Or can someone direct me to a source for info on printers that use the CLI-221/PGI-220BK cartridges?

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Frank

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You can also use your PGI-220/CLI-221 cartridges in a PGI-225/CLI-226 printer if you transfer the chips from the newer cartridges to your older cartridges. An added bonus is that the older cartridges are windowed, making refill easier; the newer cartridges are opaque. You will of course need a resetter for the newer cartridges.

A list of PGI-225/CLI-226 compatible printers can be found here, click the compatibility link for instance for the CLI-225 Y cartridge. As these printers are a newer generation than the PGI-220/CLI-221 printers, I think chances of finding one are better.

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
You can also use your PGI-220/CLI-221 cartridges in a PGI-225/CLI-226 printer if you transfer the chips from the newer cartridges to your older cartridges. An added bonus is that the older cartridges are windowed, making refill easier; the newer cartridges are opaque. You will of course need a resetter for the newer cartridges.

A list of PGI-225/CLI-226 compatible printers can be found here, click the compatibility link for instance for the CLI-225 Y cartridge. As these printers are a newer generation than the PGI-220/CLI-221 printers, I think chances of finding one are better.

I too have a similar predicament. I started with a mx860 (220 carts) then bought a mx892 (225 carts) now Im looking at buying a mx922 which uses 250carts. Can someone tell me if the 250 carts are the same as the other two--- 220s and 225s and I would just need to change the chips again? Or are the 250 carts a total different breed and all my carts from the other two are useless to me. I need a printhead for the mx892 which Im pretty sure is going to cost me over $100. Right now Amazon has their mx922 for $99.99. This seems the way to go only if my extra carts would be usable. This is getting to be a crazy game. Printsheads cost more than a whole new later model printer. I keep buying this line of printers because I need all the office capabilities they offer but I still print photos on occasion.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Your best option in my opinion is to get the new print head and stick with what you know and have at present; it may actually work out a lot cheaper to invest in the new head !

The newer printers are more difficult to use and run regards the cost and nothing you have at present will fit or work on these new machines..

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
Your best option in my opinion is to get the new print head and stick with what you know and have at present; it may actually work out a lot cheaper to invest in the new head !

The newer printers are more difficult to use and run regards the cost and nothing you have at present will fit or work on these new machines..
So the 250 series carts area total different cart and the old 220 and 225 carts will not fit into these new mx922 printers?????

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Nothing from the older printers can be used, Canon have even changed the darn ink set slightly, and worse these newer desktop printers only come with start-up cartridges containing about 7 ml of ink plus the chips on these OEM cartridges CAN’T be reset. :(

Another tale of woe is that the OEM cartridges are a bitch to refill so you have to use 3rd party refillable cartridges if you don’t want to be robbed buying OEM ink all of the time, so getting a new print head is starting to look a bit more favourable isn’t it. :cool:
A cheaper option might be to look at getting a Pro 100 printer for $99 after rebate.. :woot

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Another tale of woe is that the OEM cartridges are a bitch to refill
yellow-card-smiley-emoticon.gif