Help with DesignJet30 printheads/cartridges need replacement?

bluenite

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Designjet 30
Printing with this printer for an extended period of time (8 years_WinXP/7) is still at very good level. Recently, it begins to have a problem with stripes and omission colors when printing on plain or coated paper. However, in the best mode on photo paper, it does not show yet. According to hw indicators while the last printheads used only 5-25% and cartridges to about 35%. Can we believe it? Driver report shown end of warranty on the head two years ago and cartridges for one year. Does it replace everything (even before the ink consumed?). I would appreciate any advice on this topic, also experience with alternative inks.
Peter

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The striping is most likely caused by clogged nozzles. You could do a nozzle check to see which print heads are clogged. If print head cleaning by the printer doesn't help, it is normally recommended to replace the print head or print heads that are affected. But possibly they can be cleaned outside the printer.

This printer uses a pump driven CIS system with 6 print heads and 6 stationary ink cartridges.

The print heads are similar to HP10 and HP88 print heads and can be cleaned and primed the same way. If these print heads ingest air, they immediately develop problems. You find a priming tool here, and a video showing the use of a similar tool for priming the similar but double HP88 print head here.

If the priming by extracting air and ink through the nozzles doesn't clear the clogs, the print head can be opened and flushed by water or a special cleaner, as shown in this video.

I think the cartridges are similar to the HP88 cartridges. This video shows the refill of these cartridges.

You find a service manual for the printer here, and a parts catalog here.The manuals might be slow to load, so have patience.

For a Canon printer cleaning the print head outside the printer involves a risk of ruining not only the print head but also the printer electronics. Water or cleaning fluid where it does not belong is the danger, so the print head must be completely dry on the outside before inserting. No water must be present on the external electronic parts and ribbon cable of the print head. I think this also applies to HP print heads, so take care, and use the information at your own risk

I hope this helps in getting the print heads OK, so you will not have to replace them. Sadly I don't know which alternative inks to recommend for this printer.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Peter only you forgot to mention one thing ? The partridge in the pear three.
That’s what I call a bloody good reply.. :thumbsup

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It is not yet the "First Day of Christmas", but I forgot to mention, that instead of a special and expensive print head cleaner a window cleaner with ammonia or pharmacist's cleaning solution can be used. In the US the original "Windex with Ammonia-D" is recommended for print head cleaning. In many European countries an "Ajax" window cleaner from Colgate-Palmolive is available and also works well.