Help with Canon S800 please (long)

Jane

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Not sure of where this should go; but do need advice.

I have a Canon S800 printer that I have already changed printheads in. The one that is in now is about a year old. But . . . since then I had some health problems and did not print as often as I intended to. I also have been through the use of some different inks. Got cleaning solvent and some bulk ink for CompuBiz Inkjet in Feb. of 2005 (got their cleaning kit earlier than that dont know date anymore) after having gone back to Canon OEM because of what had been sent to me as compensation for shipping problems regarding a different printer. Then rather that filling from scratch when I needed new tanks I got compatibles from CompuBiz. Some of those are in my refill cycle and some have been thrown out because they dried out when I didnt get to them on time. Not sure if it was the bulk ink or the compatibles or a combination but noticed some color cast to photos (lost track of beginning date) cyan and/or magenta seemed different than Canon.

The latest is I have a combination of carts in refill cycle which includes some Canon picked up fairly recently when I needed something NOW before an order of bulk ink came in from MIS (back to them as they really seemed to match Canon at one time).

During quite a printing session at the end of last week I had additional problems. Some purging by printing with carts of solvent got it going for awhile. Then the yellow refused to print (my stock of yellow happens to be refilled OEM). Changed cart even though not quite to the point of showing low in printer software. That got it going again. I went through a stage with best checks and color output that I have had in sometime. Then PC gave me fits by not print at all and I was unable to get it going again.

Turned to the bit of printing with carts containing solvent no go. I went to the bit of taking the head out and letting it sit in a shallow container of solvent and also drawing solvent back through each color with a tube on a syringe. Now I get nothing although it sounds like normal printing is going on but results in a blank sheet of paper.

I am not sure what to think anymore about condition of carts in refill cycle. None drip when set in a container where the outlet is not touching after the fill hole is sealed. When they are capped at the outlet (Canon tabs held on with rubber band or clips that come on aftermarket ones) some show up with a puddle of ink when outlet cover (either kind) removed and others dont. All have some ink (some more than others) come out when I blow into the vent hole while the outlet is uncovered.

I am a light user compared to many here. Are there other revival methods worth trying? Get another new printhead as I dont think other parts worn out? Suggestions please!

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Regardless your print head can still be restored or have to buy a new one you may want to consider a new printer. If you are a light user don't use off brand compatibles and don't refill. Because you don't use much you won't save much from not using OEM inks. Using OEM ink tanks is a lot easier to manage. Look for sales or rebates. You can find pretty cheap deals from time to time. Refilling is beneficial to those who have time to take care their printers and use the printer frequently.

If you do want to refill for whatever reasons then try to learn the basics of how an ink cartridge works. Understand how an ink flow problem is originated. Learn why or how a print head develops a clog. Then learn how to prevent clogs from happening. You also want to learn how to clean a clogged print head without damaging it. You will benefit from developing a common sense in spotting trouble signs of your printer and quickly address them. There are people who stick to a single printer for years, refilled tons of ink and yet the printer is still working fine. Well, not really tons of ink but over a liter of ink for each color is possible.