Help with a Canon IP4300

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I have damaged a few chips transferred to a CIS I bought from eBay. It's a pain in the a$$. I also dropped and lost a chip in my ip4300. It's now stuck in the printer somewhere. Cost a fortune to buy a few more used CLI8 carts from eBay because of the (high) flat rate usually set by sellers on eBay. Well, the CIS only worked for about a month then it went straight down hill. Eventually has to toss it down the toilet. Will never touch any CIS again, especially CIS made in China. Not cheap in fact plus the inferior ink they provide. I's say leave those chips alone. Refill the OEM carts as they are.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
leo8088 said:
I have damaged a few chips transferred to a CIS I bought from eBay. It's a pain in the a$$. I also dropped and lost a chip in my ip4300. It's now stuck in the printer somewhere. Cost a fortune to buy a few more used CLI8 carts from eBay because of the (high) flat rate usually set by sellers on eBay. Well, the CIS only worked for about a month then it went straight down hill. Eventually has to toss it down the toilet. Will never touch any CIS again, especially CIS made in China. Not cheap in fact plus the inferior ink they provide. I's say leave those chips alone. Refill the OEM carts as they are.
Hi leo...

Whilst I'd agree with you in part regarding the quality of many Chinese CIS kits I wouldn't necessarily tar them all with the same brush.. unfortunately being able to tell the good guys from the bad is nigh on impossible so the rule of thumb seems to be to avoid or at least find a reseller with tried and tested support.

As to CIS's themselves I'd have to disagree vehemently but unfortunately it's taken me a whole year to figure out the ins and outs of these things in relation to Canon Pixma units and that resulted in a lot of wasted ink, time and quite a few grey hairs (well ok age may be the cause of some of the latter but we'll skip that! ;)).

Refilling can be a good way to go for many but CIS's aren't all the bad they may seem.. given the choice of recommending any to friends or families for "Self maintenance" though I'd have to say I wouldn't recommend Canon at all... Epson are much easier to get working.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hi I am bring up this thread which the thread starter posted during 10/20/2007.

Apparantly, I am face with the same situation on the CLI8BK chip and I am not using IP4300.

I knew how to 'reset' these chips (except that I just lose ink monitoring features). I had 2 sets complete set of original Canon CLI8 (CMYK) & PGI5BK cartridges. They were purchased at different point of time. All chip reset just fine except one CLI-8BK (which perpetually refused to reset and you cannot accept warranty void as it does not throw that dialogue prompt) & CLI-8Y(still has ink monitor so has yet been disable or reset yet).

One of my local seller who sells original cartridges as well as some 3rd party ink. He told me that the lastest batch of chip canon cartridges cannot be refilled anymore as reported by his customers. So he actually stop selling refillable ink/compatible for canon that comes with chip cartridges. I was kind of surprised and sceptical of what he said because I had reset my chips without problem and had been refilling them quite a number many times. And I thought that his customers might be using IP4300 which we knew that there was report about it having no option to accepting the warranty void or his customers do not know how to reset via the reset/resume button.

Well, now the interesting is, I had one of this CLI8BK chip myself which belong to my second sets (the first sets reset without problem). There is no way to reset by holding the reset/resume button or by accepting void of warranty since it does not throw the message dialogue prompt like my earlier sets of cartridges. The message request you to replace the CLI8BK ink tank and will stay stuck at that message and does not proceed to the usual warranty void message. (see attached picture below). It's either you replace the CLI8BK ink tank or cancel printing. And it only seems to affect the CLI8BK cartridge, the rest of the colored cartridge reset or disable the ink monitor just fine (except the yellow one since there is still ink monitoring which hasn't yet trigger the need to reset or warranty void).

Fig 1

I could use my first sets from earlier batch for refilling which had been reset without problem.

Note:
1) I knew how to reset these chips to disable the ink monitoring so pls avoid drawing your conclusion that because I didn't know how to reset.
2) There was no contact problem of this CLI8BK cartridge chip to the sensor as this particular CLI8BK was detected with 1/4 of ink when I refilled with my 3rd party ink into this cartridge. All the rest of the colored chip cartridges where detected with 1/4 of ink after refilling as well before multiples copies was printed and ink run low/empty and they finally trigger the replacement of ink tank/warranty void should I proceed to print.
3) I had not upgraded any firmware.

update :
-----------------------------
March 12,2008: Note 4) This CLI8BK chip that is having reset/accept warranty void issue is not broke down or whatsoever or cases such that the chip does not sit well and thus causing the sensor cannot read/recognise this chip cartridge. So you may drop that speculation.

Let me show you another picture I simulated with my another older CLI8BK chip (which is from the first set of cartridges that can be reset/accept warranty void), such that there is contact problem with the sensor by adjusting the chip to make it loosen at the cartridge pointed chip holder. It would have throw me such error.

Fig 2

However my error that was displayed was not due to contact problem with the sensor as shown in the 2nd picture, Fig 2. Instead, the CLI8BK chip (the later batch) can be recognised by the printer, except that the reset/accept warranty void option was removed such that the chip will not proceed to accept warranty or even reset via the resume/stop button as shown in the 1st picture, Fig 1.

March 17, 2008 : As it has been questioned by Tin Ho whether if there could be spyware, adsware and virus that is making a living in your PC at another thread (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1506&p=18 post #173) that causes the window not to pop up the usual message of warranty void, I had uploaded another picture (below, Fig 3) which I had captured that time which I didn't upload back then that display the error at the printer mini 2.5" LCD screen.

You do not need to connect your printer to your PC, to get this alert messages should there be any to appear at the printer mini LCD screen (some printer do not comes with this LCD screen). However, to get the alert message to appear on your PC monitor (like Fig 1 picture) obviously requires you to connect your printer to the PC.

Once you power up your printer (even without connecting your data cable to the PC) with your ink cartridges installed into the printer, the printer LCD screen will automatically display any alert message if there is any on the printer LCD screen.

Fig 3

So the Fig 1 picture message was displayed on the PC monitor, and Fig 3 picture message was display on the printer LCD screen back then.

And also I just found another thread (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2476) which the user, billkunert had problem with other cartridge, PGI5 similarly like mine case with the CLI8BK which mine happened many weeks ago except that my case I couldn't proceed further like user, billkunert did. The message kept asking me to replace the ink tank as show at the printer LCD screen. Pressing the resume/stop button for 5 seconds or more (I tried pressing for more than 30 secs and as long as I could), it will not disable the ink monitoring of the chips. Similarly, pressing 'OK' on the message dialogue prompt will not trigger the usual accept warranty void message.

Sirman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Indeed i have the same problem with a reset for the chips , and not only the black but the colours to . Now i am buzzy with a nother refil system as you may know ... the point is that i can not make it easy for making a connection and build inn a cable guide that be used for gooing outside the printer ... http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2750 But resetting .. i try but tjuhhh .. mayby this money and work is now for the nothing ...