Help troubleshoot my refill-Canon MP560

artise

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just recently began refilling Canon MP560 cartridges. I used to have a 6700D and had no trouble refilling those cartridges. When I got to the big black cartridge (220) I had lots of trouble with it leaking. I had not put it into the printer. Over the next 2 days I tried refilling it and all the ink would run out the round hole on the bottom. It was a slow leak. I thought by waiting a day and giving it a try again perhaps it would work. It didn't it just kept leaking. I did the top hole refill and did have it sealed properly. What should I do now to get this cartridge to fill or do I just have to dump it out and start fresh? Thanks for any help

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You have a very simple problem with your large cartridge which is not that easy to recognise at first.

When you interfere with an OEM cartridge by drilling or opening a hole in the top of the reservoir,
that cartridge will now not hold the ink inside as it was designed to because of the presents of this hole.

So lets start with this cartridge again, first reset the chip then cap the ink outlet hole
with the orange clip that came with the cartridge using a rubber band to hold it on tightly.

Then unblock (Clear) the existing hole in the top and fill your cartridge up again
to full with the pigment ink and let it stand for five minutes.

Now if the ink level inside the reservoir has gone down just top it up again to the same level as before
then clean and dry any droplets (Spillage) of ink from the top of the cartridge.

Use a proper plug or hot glue to seal the hole up again it has to be completely sealed (Airtight),
now you should have a good cartridge that you can use safely in your printer.

A good way to test your newly refilled cartridge for any leaks is to just remove the orange clip from the outlet of the cartridge,
it should now leak a little bit, but no more than a half dozen drops and then stop,
if yes then your good to go if no then recap and reseal the fill hole 100% this time.

Happy Printing..

artise

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well I will try again. Perhaps I overfilled it? The hole was sealed up each time it leaked but hey I'll give it another whirl. thanks

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
How did you create the refill hole? I assume that you are "top filling" - What did you use to seal the refill hole? For top filling, Slow continual leaking is nearly always caused by a poor fill hole seal.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
You have to abolutely, completely seal the hole you made. It MUST be air-tight. You either have a leak there. It's also possible that you have an internal leak, but I have never heard of that happening.

artise

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I did top fill. I filled the hole with hot glue and flattened it out. Have not had time to give it a whirl again............yet.