Help required Pixma Pro 1

Woodie1957

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
Hi folks new to this forum but require some advice/ assistance. I have acquired a Pro 1 from a guy who said he just hasn't really used it ( who knows) it has come with a full set of Genuine inks (Empty)... So i have begun to try and revive this magnificent beast of a printer to complement my photography.
Here is my problem, i looked at new inks and after picking myself up off the floor at the price of genuine Canon inks i decided Compatibles from Catridgesave would suit my pocket better and a full set arrived, I installed said inks and oh dear flashing lights and a B500 error message tried turning off and on/ unplugging and leaving etc no joy.
Thanks to this forum i extracted inks and replaced the genuine cartridges, error gone! Tried numerous connotations even maintenance mode and zeroing counters ( see attached images of readouts) still no joy. Genuine cartridges it works, Cartridgesve compatibles and back too error B500.

Advice please, am i doomed to spend a fortune on inks if i keep this beast? Do the readouts from the eeprom and test print look ok to someone with more knowledge than myself or does it look bad? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20200625_160239.jpg
    IMG_20200625_160239.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_20200625_160253.jpg
    IMG_20200625_160253.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_20200625_160310.jpg
    IMG_20200625_160310.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 262

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
One or more of the aftermarket ink cartridge chips are bad.

If you made sure all cartridges were properly installed and any leaked ink or electrical contacts were clean, did you try talking with the merchant about the cartridges not being recognized? May be too late now that you've drained them or much time has passed.

One other thing to try is with the working OEM cartridges installed, replace one at a time with the aftermarket cartridge to see which one or ones are erroring out.

Eventually the OEM cartridge chips will be marked as Empty by the printer and you will be forced to purchase new cartridges. Maybe some here can advise a known supplier of working pre-filled cartridges.

Another way to go is using aftermarket chips and affix them to the OEM cartridges allowing aftermarket ink refilling. Search with Google. Here's an example for you:

https://www.precisioncolors.com/C12B.html

Read and heed the Instructions unless and until someone more knowledgeable with this printer than I advises:

There is no resetter for the Canon OEM PGI-29 chips. You should NOT operate this printer without new chips at each refill. Doing so will very rapidly fill the waste ink pad with ink and this internal part when full is not user serviceable. You should always only use this printer with functioning chips.

Woodie1957

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
One or more of the aftermarket ink cartridge chips are bad.

If you made sure all cartridges were properly installed and any leaked ink or electrical contacts were clean, did you try talking with the merchant about the cartridges not being recognized? May be too late now that you've drained them or much time has passed.

One other thing to try is with the working OEM cartridges installed, replace one at a time with the aftermarket cartridge to see which one or ones are erroring out.

Eventually the OEM cartridge chips will be marked as Empty by the printer and you will be forced to purchase new cartridges. Maybe some here can advise a known supplier of working pre-filled cartridges.

Another way to go is using aftermarket chips and affix them to the OEM cartridges allowing aftermarket ink refilling. Search with Google. Here's an example for you:

https://www.precisioncolors.com/C12B.html

Read and heed the Instructions unless and until someone more knowledgeable with this printer than I advises:

Hi thanks for your reply, the cartridges have not leaked any ink and the electrical contacts are clean. The cartridges have refused to work right from first putting them in so no real draining has been done, i have spoken to Cartridgesave and they have said they are happy to refund...

The printer software recognizes the compatible cartridges all of them saying they are full, but then refuses to print with them giving the error B500. I did wonder about re-chipping the OEM ink cartridges and just seeing what happens, i suppose it can't hurt or can it?

I don't want to aggravate the printer according to the Utube guy who has many videos on it it can be easily done :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
A Google search on "Canon Pro 1 error B500" results in the top link referring back to this forum and an explanation and potential by our fearless Moderator @The Hat :

7 Blinking LED lights and the B500 error is the waste ink full notice and that cartridge will need replacing and the EPROM waste ink counter will need resetting also.

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-pro-1-error-code-b500.13202/

What is the repetitive cycle of lights flashing for you?

I think we now know why the person wanted to get rid of the printer. Your sleeping beauty was waiting for her prince to come along and wake her from her maintenance coma. Did the seller/donator tell you of this error?

Woodie1957

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
It could be the fact he knew this who knows... The repetitive cycle of flashing led lights are the amber/ yellow light flashes 8 times stops then repeats as does the white light... I have already reset the waste ink counter to zero using the maintenance mode (see attached images in first post), i do believe i can bypass the waste ink cartridge but unsure how to do that yet...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

Woodie1957

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
It cycles 8 times when the compatible cartridges are fitted yes...

When the OEM cartridges are fitted it just says they are empty and flashes around 15 or 18 times very quickly before repeating but i can still force it to print.

The read out from the eeprom lists these error codes in this order (ER0=B500 ER1=1361 ER2=B500 ER3=1293 ER4=1361 ER5=9300 ER6=1660 ER7=B500 ER8=1361 ER9=1000...

I have reset waste ink counter D to 000.0

Woodie1957

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
Interesting development not sure this will help diagnose my problem but here it is... I put the printer into maintenance mode using the OEM inks and it prints the eeprom report fine so i thought i would try removing the doors and swapping the inks for the compatibles and try another eeprom print see what happens and it stops printing as it begins ? it seems to point to these cartridges what do you think?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Have you tried my previous suggestion?

If you do not want to waste ink trying this then purchase new OEM's. You know they work.

Or try a different aftermarket cartridge set, just not the same brand, unless the supplier that sold you the non-working cartidges will guarantee the replacements will work or else refund your money.

Woodie1957

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
Thanks for all your help so far Stratman... I had tried swapping each in turn before but found it still went into B500 on each.
But then after i had tried swapping the cartridges in maintenance mode for some odd reason it began seeing all the cartridges ( the empty OEM ones) on one bank the bank away from the buttons as full ? so i swapped the carts over on that bank and presto it began printing..
So then i began swapping the opposite bank and presto all bar one (The yellow) are working...
This is a bit annoying because i have no idea what made it do that, then if i get the problem again i cant fix it simply... feels like i am finally getting somewhere though :)