Help needed: Canon iP4000 printing color instead of B/W

minstrel

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello! I tried looking for an answer to my question on the forum using the search function but couldn't find anything about my specific problem, which is this:

When I print a color image and set the properties for the printer to print in greyscale (B/W), it still prints in color. I want to print images in greyscale since my color cartridges are empty, but it refuses to do so. The only way I can get an image to print in greyscale is to reduce it to grayscale in an image manipulation program and then print it from there, which is a bit of a hassle.

Any ideas how to fix this? The printer is obviously ignoring me setting it to print in greyscale, in the properties for the printer, if it receives an image with color information in it.

Cheers!

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
If you go up to the Inkjet FAQ's link near the top of this page and click on the question "Does grayscale printing use color cartridges to make gray?", you may find your answer. In brief, if you print on plain paper (but not borderless or duplex), the printer will use only the pigment black ink. You should select the high quality setting for a decent picture. However, if you are printing on any photo paper, a mixture of all four dye inks will be used.

minstrel

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well, I print on plain paper, and it still uses the color cartridges to print images, even though I tell it to print greyscale, if the image contains any color information other than grayscales. If I make the image into grayscale in an image manipulation program and THEN print it, the printer prints it using only black ink. That's what I need help with. Why doesn't it print in black and white when I tell it to, WHEN and ONLY WHEN the image contains color information?

It's like the printer says: "You want to print this image in greyscale? Well, it contains colors, so f*ck you, I'll print it in color anyway, and ignore what you tell me to do."

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
If you set the printer for plain paper and greyscale then it uses the pigment black
If it is set for photo and greyscale it uses the dye (which includes the photo black).

The greyscale printouts on the plain and photo settings look different and any decent magnifying glass will show colour on the photo and none on the plain.

Using the search function did produce one interesting thread where a user was told blatant nonsense by Canon support.
IE greyscale on plain paper uses the photo inks.

minstrel

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have the printer set for plain paper and greyscale. That's why I want help. The printer clearly ignores the settings, when the image contains color information.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
All I can suggest is ...
1 Don't use duplex ;)
2 Remove the printer and drivers and reinstall.

Start> Printers and Faxes remove the printer.
Start > Printers & faxes >File Server properties > Drivers. Select the printer and 'Remove' the drivers.

minstrel

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ah. The old "when in doubt - reinstall" mantra...

minstrel

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well, I think the "duplex" thing was the problem for me. When I try printing with the option to print on both sides of the paper, it prints in color, no matter what, but if I uncheck that option, it does what I want it to do. Poor quality control of the driver, there?