HELP ! MP600 has powered down- will not start !!!

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Manuchau said:
Just read this on another printer site...can't vouch for it, but maybe it can help you...
Thanks Manuchau,

Its well worth a try , the machine was tipped upside down/ sideways etc some ink or obstruction may have occurred , it wont cost anything to have a good look.

I shall be resuming repair activites with this &^%!!****!!!! printer upon return from my vacation, will post further even if negative.

Meanwhile if anyone else has similar easy , viable suggestions I would welcome them.

regards to all
Headphonesman

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
headphonesman said:
Meanwhile if anyone else has similar easy , viable suggestions I would welcome them.
Just a thought but I'm sure you've considered this approach..

Hey printer, meet Mr Sledgehammer!!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
websnail said:
[Just a thought but I'm sure you've considered this approach..

Yes this is being considered...........but my 12lb sledge (22 @BQ- currently on loan in Powys) with my luck would probably bounce off it and give me a nasty injury , and following that , someone would post with the correct solution that was dead easy and only required that you did not use force of any kind.

PS..... did you keep your socks on for your recent excellent video on fanning paper ?..........(old habits etc.. etc..)
I did consider doing a video of the dismantling of said printer.........but there`s the 9/0pm watershed to think about................

P.S.S
One interesting side product of my search for the "Canon error code 5010" threw up a Russian site which had PDF s of the Service Manuals for the MP500 and the MP800......both of which may be of interest to you.
I have downloaded and stored them , they were clean , and may prove useful eventually.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
If you need them I have the English PDFs for those printers... Just not the one for the MP600... Let me know if you need them.

As to the video... socks? Hey who says I wasn't neked under the desk!... :D... Actually no that thought's just too gross... Moving on I think!!

Re: Sledge... Oh so true :D

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
websnail said:
headphonesman said:
Just a thought but I'm sure you've considered this approach..

Here is my final interpretation of the problem ., if you have tears prepare to shed them now...................

It was the print head.
How do I know ? Because I took the printhead from the MP600 (that I struggled to get out !) ... and properly stored it until today when i tried it in my 5200.

My 5200 immediately said that there was a serious error and to put right " TRY switching off and disconnecting and re-connecting " if this does not work take to a Canon repair center " etc. Of course that did not put it right. Neither did it put it right when I put the original Head back in.
Printer continually flashing orange. I consigned the 5200 to the graveyard next to the MP600 with the defunct Printhead as well.

I then got my spare 5200 and installed that with the good printhead from the first 5200., and everything was rosy! (figuratively speaking)

MORAL OF STORY :-
If your machine suddenly fails in the way the 600 did.........do not try and salvage the printhead for a rainy day , believe that it was the cause and do not let it near any other machines. I was half prepared for it to do what it did, but i wont try a similar procedure again . I thought I was justified in the experiment because there was never any indication that there had been a problem with the Printhead. It was printing quite happily on the day it died.
Thanks to all who tried to help , I hope this example of my attempts to salvage an unknown condition part will act as a caution to others.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
:(... That sounds about right.. For some reason when my MP750 went this way I didn't opt to re-use the printhead for some reason... Perhaps I listened to that little internal voice for the first time!! Either way, glad I did.

Sorry to hear your 5200 bit the bullet too but lesson's learned... well and truly... Thanks for sharing.