Help me save black ink

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
W10 using Brave browser in dark mode. It seems that I'm using a lot of black ink because I'm running dark mode in my browser. Every time I go to print a screenshot of a bank statement or credit card statement/receipt my TR8620 prints the black background. Is there anyway of printing the receipts without having it print the black background?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I don't know the Brave Browser, but could you switch to a "normal light mode" with black text on a light background before printing? If the text is white on a black background then a screenshot could be inverted in an image handling program like for instance Irfan View.

Here is a white text on a dark background:

White text.jpg

And here it is inverted by Irfan View:

White text inverted.jpg

If you decide to give Irfan View a try I strongly suggest to get it from the official website. Notice there is both 32 and 64 bit versions and remember to also get the plugins. The program can also be downloaded from Microsoft store, but that version is not fully functional.

If I didn't understand the problem correctly, could you then upload an example of the text with no personal details?

Last edited:

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
You understand the problem correctly. I realize the solution you mention among other solutions like Photoshop. One solution that I've been using is to open the link in another browser that does not have dark mode. I was just looking for a simpler method that was quicker. I figured if it annoys me then it must annoy other people and someone would have come up with a simple fix. Guess I'm just lazy LOL.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
3 potential solutions

1) I do not know Brave browser. In Firefox, without first saving to a screenshot, I click on the printer icon to bring up the window to print whatever is showing on the browser. From this window I can go to a tab called Page Set Up and then on the tab Format and Options I can check or uncheck to Print Backgrounds. This may remove color backgrounds but am not aware if it does anything for a screenshot (see #2) since the screenshot is no longer under direct control of the browser. It only works when printing the current window of the browser. Maybe there is a similar way to uncheck Print Backgrounds in Brave browser.

2) In Firefox there is a built in screenshot utility. This utility will save a screenshot of the whole or any part of the current window of the browser, ie you can crop what you don't want and save what you do want as an image. In this way, you can crop out the unwanted black borders before printing. Maybe there is something like this built into Brave or available as browser add on.

EDIT
Read on Brave web site that the Brave browser accepts many Chrome Extensions. That said, here is a page of potential screenshot Chrome Extensions that may work like the Firefox built in screenshot utility.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/print web page?hl=en&_category=extensions

3) The old fashioned method -- I take a screenshot using the "Print Screen" button on the keyboard, open Paint, a free program that comes with Windows, click Paste to paste the screenshot residing in memory into Paint, then crop out the unwanted parts using Paint's crop function, save to JPG and print with whatever app I like OR print the cropped image directly from Paint without saving to a file.

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
1) I do not know Brave browser. In Firefox, without first saving to a screenshot, I click on the printer icon to bring up the window to print whatever is showing on the browser. From this window I can go to a tab called Page Set Up and then on the tab Format and Options I can check or uncheck to Print Backgrounds. This may remove color backgrounds but am not aware if it does anything for a screenshot (see #2) since the screenshot is no longer under direct control of the browser. It only works when printing the current window of the browser. Maybe there is a similar way to uncheck Print Backgrounds in Brave browser.

I was curious about this and downloaded the browser to check and it's basically the same as Chrome. There is indeed a "Background graphics" tick box option under the Print > More settings section.

When I played with it I put the system into Dark mode and went to print to a PDF. It reproduced the page as white (if the page was white to begin with in normal mode) but if I ticked the "Background graphics" box it would switch to black (but not around the page borders).

If you're trying to print docs that are actually downloaded PDF's being displayed in the browser, I wonder if there's some other setting that's getting in the way that you need to sort out.

Latest posts