Help me decide

jtl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok, here is the deal. As some of you know from reading my other posts I have a 780 and a 830. The 830 was a replacement refurb from Canon for my 780 which is now working just fine. I need to return one of these printers as Canon is already calling me to return the 780. I have an extra set of new oem carts for the 780 and a new extra print head that Canon sent me. If I return either printer I can keep the print heads, including the more expensive, but slightly used 830. I would also have a set of partially used CLI oem carts. My usage is not great, occasionally we print some photos, but certainly not high volume like some on this site. We do print stuff from the web on a regular basis and my wife likes color, where I couldn't care less afte years of printing on a mono laser printer. I purchased the 780 initially to replace an old HP scanner, my Lexmark laser printer and a cheap fax machine inorder to free up desk space. I am really on the fence. The 830 is more attractive and has the color lcd and the memory card slots, but the 780 prints just as well, albeit a little slower, and cannot duplex (not a big deal for me). As long as I have this one time opportunity I would like to make the best decision. Most of you on this forum have far more experience than me. I think it comes down to features/looks vs cheap ink with the ability to monitor the ink levels. What are your comments? Thanks, John

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Were I in your situation I'd probably keep the 780 so long as it works...

I'm also pretty sure that the MP780 does handle duplex.. my 750 sure did so you may want to check that.. If anything I've noticed my MP830 has been a little less happy with some things, takes longer to warm up and the whole chipped cart routine is a turn off too.. Then again, you could always send back your 780 flog your MP830 and go buy another refurb'd 780 with cash to spare :)

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Both printers can duplex print, but the 830 can duplex scan.

The 830 has 1pl nozzles whereas the 780 has 2pl nozzles. Users in this forum have previously reported there is quite a difference between 1pl and 2pl printing. There is also a small problem in 780's photo printing of borderless photos which is solved by using post-it notes. This problem seems to have been eliminated in newer Canon models.

I would keep the 830. It's really a better printer and since you don't print high volume you can use OEM carts without noticeable cost difference.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I'll make two predictions:

1) If you keep the MP830, there will come a day when the low ink warning comes on and you'll go down to the store to buy a replacement cartridge at $14. You'll look over at the BCI cartridges and see that they are less than $12. A few days later the empty ink warning comes on and you pop in the cartridge. The next day two more low ink warnings come on and you go back to the store wishing you had bought the complete pack of cartridges except that you don't need all of them because you know that you go through more of the pigment black (at $16) and you still have your original dye black. You notice that the MP830 is now selling for $200 which includes $72 worth of ink so the real price is only $128. You remember the day you asked for opinions on which printer to buy and wish you could go back and repeat the decision.

2) If you keep the MP780, there will come a day when your last replacement cartridge gets used up and you feel so good that replacement cartridges are so much cheaper and hold more ink than the newer chipped cartridges. You find a great deal on eBay for cartridges for $3 each including shipping. Since printing is so cheap, you are now doing a lot more printing than you used to and remember the day you asked for opinions on which printer to buy and glad you made the right decision.

jtl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I stand corrected on the duplex issue, I was trying to scan a double sided document and print it. Also it appears that when you scan something that has color and b/w you need to select "color" in which case it prints the b/w using the color carts. At least it appears so because the text is not a dark black.

If I were to keep the 830 I would probably refill. How is the Hobbicolor black for the BGBK cart, if I understand correctly it is a mixture of pigment and dye based ink.

GH, I will put you down for a 780 vote.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the 780 as you have many choices of prefilled aftermarket carts or buying good quality bulk ink and refilling your carts for about $1 apiece (my choice.)

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Because I have an ip4200 I will vote for keeping the 830. CLI8 and PGI5 can be easily refilled. Hobbicolors sells refill ink for them. The plugs came with the refill ink kit from Hobbicolors are extremely easy to plug and unplug repeatedly with no wear. Seals effectively. Sealing problems become history after using these plugs. I tend to believe 830 is better than 780. I would choose 830 instead of 780. I am not sure if refill ip4200's OEM cartridges made the difference I simply love my ip4200 using HC UW-8 refill ink and the plugs from them. You may regret not keeping the 830 in the future. After all it's a newer and better MP.

jtl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Unfortunately my 780 appears to be doing something weird with the pigment ink. The resevior is only 1/3 full and I haven't put 25 b/w pages through the printer.

For those of you that have an 830 or an ip4200 how many 4x6 boarderless photos do you expect to get on a set of carts?

jtl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I don't want to get break any forum rules but if anyone is interested in getting a deal on a print head or a set of oem carts for a a 780 email me. John

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Jtl, AS others have indicated the MP730 uses BCI-3e BLK, and BCI-6C,M,Y carts. These are very inexpensive. I buy mine at "InkforSale.net"
for $1.20 each. You can't get much cheaper than that,... but I do. I refill my carts with bulk ink from Atlanticinkjet.com. It has worked for me for 2 years. The newer CLI-8 carts are hard to find because they are so new. The prices will stay high for much longer than the BCI-6 family because there are over 50 printers that use the BCI-6 series. It has to be the most popular cart around,... and the lowest price.

Having said that, and you feel good about refilling, that will be the lowest price, as Atlanticinkjet.com sells bulk ink for the CLI-8 for the same price I pay for bulk ink for the BCI-6 carts. Keep an eye out for prices for new or compatible carts as one day one of those CLI-8 carts will break down and not let the ink flow no matter how full it is.