Help me buy new IJ Color MFC Printer

macattak1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My MP830 has died. Not sure what is wrong with it. Have not had a chance to tear down the chassis to check the head primer. Bummer, as I spent some money on new ink and such trying to find out what the problem was. So, I am looking at an all-in-one printer.

But am concerned about what carts are filling well or not filling well?
Also concerned about where to buy the best quality ink refills for them? Hobbi colors is gone it appears?
I would even think about the Continuous flow setup. Hear that Canons are not the best for this?

So? Canon, Epson, HP?

Must be wireless

I really want:
Scanner ADF'er
High color print resolution
Ability to scan slides 35mm and film would be very nice

Thanks for any help on the printer and ink refilling

Peace and Blessings
Rylos

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Hobbicolors is still around.

Any of the CLI-8, BCI-6, CLI-221 series machines are still fairly easy to refill. You just need a chip resetter for the CLI-8 & CLI-221 series printers.

I don't know of any printers that have both an ADF and the ability to scan the film slides as well.

The MX870 fits the bill in every way except the slide scanning. It has refillable carts, ADF, wireless, and good print resolution.

Canons are not got for a continuous flow setup, Epson is the best for that. If you are truly printing high volume then Epson may be worth the investment cost.

macattak1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
No, I do not print enough for Cont. Flow set up. I will check out the MX870. Been looking at the MG8120.

Any idea on the diff. between the MX and MG lines?

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
The MG line use the newer CLI-226 cartridges which are not as easy to refill because the cartridges are completely opaque and there is no way to reset the chip.

In short, if you want to refill buy a printer that doesn't use the CLI-226 cartridges.

macattak1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Any HP or Epson suggestions?

mharris127

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I personally like the Brother MFCs. I have a MFC-295CN and a just bought MFC-5490. You have two cheap choices for ink. Either G&G brand inks -- model LC61 (Eforcity sells them, a set of 4 is $16 shipped and two sets of 4 is $25 shipped) or a refillable ink insert (they call it a continuous ink system) that hangs outside the printer but is quite bulky as the refillable insert has a 130cc capacity for each color. I just use the Eforcity G&G refill carts. I find these printers are one of the cheapest to print with (less than a penny a page), although you could buy a MFC-5890 or MFC-6490 that uses LC65 carts, which are double capacity and a bit cheaper per page but the difference is so small that it isn't worth the extra money to buy that model printer unless you print oversize documents.

The MFC-5490 is currently $90 plus shipping at Staples and Circuit City Online. Circuit City actually shipped mine to me in less than 18 hours for $14 (they claim up to four days shipping with that option). One thing -- do not use the fastest print speed with these printers as the print heads clog up from lack of ink flow. Any other print speed setting works great, just not the fastest one.