Help determining problem. Nozzle Check Streak.

vallejoboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This is a Nozzle Check printout from a Canon MP560. what does it mean? I know horizontal streaks could be cause by clogged print head but how about this one? thank you!
5466_canon_mp560.jpg

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Considering how consistently vertical this is it's not likely a clog. My best guess is since they seem to line up some try very gently cleaning the plastic timing strip. I used a bit of a cotton ball moistened with rubbing alcohol. Very gently clean the strip front and back. Then try again and report back if it helped or not.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I don't have Canon printers anymore. But it's easy enough to see for yourself. Look inside your printer. You'll see the printhead moves back and forth pulled along by the belt, all across the printer you'll see a thin plastic strip, look very carefully at it, you may need a flashlight. You'll see it has very very finely spaced lines. That's the timing strip.

vallejoboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
So as I was looking for this plastic strip I realized that the printer was dirty, so I decided to clean everything and although the timing strip had some ink splashes on in so did all the near by parts. So after I cleaned everything the printer produces a clean Nozzle check! Thank you so much!

johneltin

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
And it worked for me too on a MX870 - thanks. I've been working on it all day and your easy solution(via the 100th Google search) saved me - AND saved the printer too which I got from a friend who'd just forked about $300 for a new one and gave me this to dispose of because he could not fix streaking problem!!!
A pity the user's manual makes no mention of this (common?) problem. Thanks again and YIPPEEE!!