help choosing a color print, scan, copy (and fax)?

gaki

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
whoa!

hey thanks very much for the tons of info, and also thanks to stratman for anticipating my coming questions XD (by the way, im a "she").
And I totally agree with what you were saying about the sticky notes. I probably would have been trying to find such stickies first, then search thru postings, then getting tired and then started nagging the forum for fresh help, if you hadn't caught what I would have been asking next :) .

I ended up deciding on a mp610 (thanks websnail), from the canon website (fish's advice) because they were offering an $80 discount 8D .. annnnd less than $12 ship to hawaii!! 117$ for a new mp610 XD ... I am pleased :)

and now im all set with instructions on how to refill too! bonus :)

thanks, you guys really helped me out!!

have an excellent 2009 :)

gaki

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Congratulations on your new printer. Great choice!

Sorry about the "he", Miss Gaki. Didn't know. We need more women here to keep us civilized.

Let us know how things work out for you.

Welcome to the fun and financially satisfying world of refilling.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I gotta say that's a ruddy good article there stratman... Any chance you might put that in article form at some point?

It'd be very useful to point to as something other than just a forum post :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thank you Websnail. I can't take all the credit as some of it was copied from others, such as the glue gun part. But that's what makes this forum so excellent - sharing of knowledge and experience!

I'm not sure what you mean by 'article form'. I have it saved as a Notepad document right now and could post that somewhere for others to download. What do you have in mind? Feel free to do whatever you'd like with the post!

My post is heavily weighted towards the Durchstich Method of refilling. It would be great if someone that uses the original/standard top hole method would add to the post, including what screws/plugs appear to work best to seal the hole. Whatever people think would be useful for the novice to decide what and how to refill.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
stratman said:
Thank you Websnail. I can't take all the credit as some of it was copied from others, such as the glue gun part. But that's what makes this forum so excellent - sharing of knowledge and experience!
Oh aye... definitely :)

I'm not sure what you mean by 'article form'. I have it saved as a Notepad document right now and could post that somewhere for others to download. What do you have in mind? Feel free to do whatever you'd like with the post!
I'll have a think... It's just that as long as it is, it'd be nice to have it in a more readily printed form so they can read it properly... Reading it all on the screen really tires the eyes and attention span so perhaps a PDF or something...

My post is heavily weighted towards the Durchstich Method of refilling. It would be great if someone that uses the original/standard top hole method would add to the post, including what screws/plugs appear to work best to seal the hole. Whatever people think would be useful for the novice to decide what and how to refill.
Sounds good... I think Mikling resolved this one and found a source for the plugs, but then there's the nylon screw options too.. Ooh this could turn into an epic novella :)

pennysasha11

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if anybody has any advice regarding printers & ink I print about 500 letters a week (A4) mainly in black I use a epson dx4050 with cheap ink but quality not good, anybody got any ideas

regards

Pennysasha

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
pennysasha11 said:
Hi I was wondering if anybody has any advice regarding printers & ink I print about 500 letters a week (A4) mainly in black I use a epson dx4050 with cheap ink but quality not good, anybody got any ideas

regards

Pennysasha
LASER printer.

Samsungs can be had for as little as $50, like here - http://bensbargains.net/deal/92140/. HP's make some very good office-strength versions that can take heavier workloads. Consider if you need automatic duplex printing - excellent feature!

Most importantly, look at consummable costs, toner and drum, and the ease of getting replacement consummables, because the cheapest printer at point of sale may not be the least costly to run over the lifetime of the printer.