HELP** Can't print 8.5 X 14.5 graphic!!! ALWAYS STOPS AT 14 1/4!!

CrossHairSB

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Dear Folks,

I'm trying desperately to print out this graphic that is 14 1/2... I can't have it any shorter. No matter what I do it always comes out being 14 1/4. I enlarged the graphic, enlarged the printing settings, tried "fit to page", tried

doing "scaled with zoomed in a bit".

Printer is Canon PIXMA MP560

I am not an expert at printing so I HOPE its something stupid I'm doing (and prolly is :)

I wanted to post the graphic but being that I'm new it wouldn't let me :rolleyes:

Any of your help is greatly appreciated.

TY,
Ken

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
CrossHairSB said:
Dear Folks,

I'm trying desperately to print out this graphic that is 14 1/2... I can't have it any shorter. No matter what I do it always comes out being 14 1/4. I enlarged the graphic, enlarged the printing settings, tried "fit to page", tried

doing "scaled with zoomed in a bit".

Printer is Canon PIXMA MP560

I am not an expert at printing so I HOPE its something stupid I'm doing (and prolly is :)

I wanted to post the graphic but being that I'm new it wouldn't let me :rolleyes:

Any of your help is greatly appreciated.

TY,
Ken
OK ken welcome
First off tell us which operating system are you using and what Application.
What size paper are you using and is it glossy or matte paper printing B&W or colour.

If we have this information it will make it easier to give you the perfectly answer
i.e. the one you want before you pull out all of your hair.. :)

CrossHairSB

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ah Thank you The Hat,

Lets see: Windows XP pro

Openoffice((draw) is what I have the graphic in

And I'm trying to print this on inkjet printable magnetic sheets of 8.5x14.5.

Printing using the "plain paper" seems to work fine. And its the only way I can choose custom dimensions I believe.

Whenever I choose "photo glossy" etc... then I'm forced to paper sizes.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Ken

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
CrossHairSB
I am sorry but I dont use OpenOffice so cant guide you through the print steps for that application.
However I will use my iP4700 print set-up to guide you to the last stages before printing.

As on the picture below just select your Media Type first the Printer paper size next.
If you have a problem with the Media settings then set them after you set your paper size.

5128_print_1.jpg

In Custom Paper size put in your size as the picture is set to below and click ok.

5128_print_3.jpg

Then if you wish to use a different Media setting Glossy/Matte now try setting it
but afterwards re-enter the Custom paper size settings and check that they are still set correctly.

Now use which ever paper you want too and click on print and the jobs oxo ok.

One other point to consider is does OpenOffice have a print per-view if so
check that it is correct and your entire image is visible and not now short..

CrossHairSB

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ok I understand everything you wrote but the "does OpenOffice have a print per-view?"

Firstly, I need the overall dimension to be 14.5 not 14.25.

I see what you mean by first choosing "custom paper sizes" then any other media type... np there.

But even if I make my "custom paper size" LARGER than 8.5 or 14.5... it STILL prints out at 14.25.

Openoffice recognizes that I'm using a Canon MP560 and under "File" it has printer settings... THATS where I set up my printer settings etc... then hit print.

Ken

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
What is the actual size of the paper you are using? If you are printing in regular paper mode, that printer has minimum margins of .13" at the top and .20" at the bottom. Unless you are in photo mode (which will put down too much ink for plain copy paper) and use the Borderless option, you cannot print closer than that. Some printers I've been able to "trick" into continuing to print by picking a size bigger than the paper but A) this usually ends badly because there isn't enough roller pressure and the paper wiggles all over while printing and B) newer printers often have sensors that force it to stop printing when it detects the edge of the paper.

CrossHairSB

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Oh nice so maybe that's it! Try longer paper! Okay I like that and will try it soon... BRB and THANKYOU

Ken

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
CrossHairSB said:
So it seems that OpenOffice is your problem when it comes to printing and not your printer.
Can you set the paper to larger than 14.5, say 15" in OpenOffice as you can in Word and then try it.

The next thing you could try is not to use default paper margins but to use minimum margins
on the bottom of you document that might work.

Can you make a PDF of your document in OpenOffice and print from Acrobat
instead of OpenOffice or any other application..