HELP! canon S9000 red cast!!

weppy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hey all,

Ive had my canon s9000 for about 2 years now, its not used that heavily. For sum odd reason whenever i select a setting other than plain paper, such as glossy photo, photo paper pro etc it prints out with great quality but with a red cast over it....only when i choose plain paper it prints nice, acculate colors but i get noticable bands since its set on the 2nd worst quality print. By changing the print quality to higher and leaving it on plain paper still produces the red cast. Even when i set it to print in pure grey scale it gives a red cast...i've read on numerous forums that people have this problem with either a red cast or a green cast..people have contacted canon and haven't gotten the answer...has anyone here had that problem and been able to solve it?

I've read on other forums that this was the solution, although im not sure if it'd actually work...is he saying to put a normal Cyan and Magenta Cart into the PM and PC slots? I will post pics of how my photos turn out on the next post once i scan them in.

"This post is actually in response to a thread that is currently archived (and therefore not accepting further posts).

That post is labeled "Cannon (sic) S9000 Print Head" and concerns a greenish hue error in all print quality levels OTHER THAN plain paper. In other words, all output designated as Photo Paper Pro, Glossy, High Resolution Paper, etc., results in output with enormous and unacceptable levels of green hue. All output designated as "Plain Paper" whether the output actually is on plain paper or photo paper pro, turns out well.

This problem is not unique to the S9000, as I experienced it identically with the S820 and predictably can occur in any printer with the six cartridge print head.

It is a frustrating problem because you know that the printer is physically capable of printing WITHOUT the hue (as it proves to you each time you choose a "plain paper" paper setting.)

Troubleshooting by reinstalling and updating the printer drivers, and uninstalling/reinstalling the ZoomBrowser EX, replacing the ink cartridges, and deep cleaning are all blind alleys.

A call to Canon support solved the problem for me with this simple and important revelation:

The Plain Paper setting is unique in its use of only 4 of the 6 cartridges. In the Plain Paper setting, only the black, cyan, magenta and yellow cartridges are utilized. The Photo Magenta and Photo Cyan are not utilized. In all higher resolution settings, i.e., in all other settings, all 6 cartridges are utilized.

It follows that if one's problem disappears when not using these two Photo cartridges (i.e., when printing at the Plain Paper setting), then the problem lies with these cartridges.

(In my case, I'd loaded a plain "Cyan" cartridge in the "Photo Cyan" slot during earlier trouble shooting and had forgotten to replace it with the proper Photo Cyan cartridge.)

Problems with magenta hues would admit of the same solution.

Hope that helps anyone else out there tearing out their hair trying to troubleshoot this. "

thanks!

weppy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
the top image is printed on plain paper and the colors come out accurate, whereas the bottom is too red...when i tried to print an an image that had greys in it, thye all turned out to be pink-grey..almost red actually!

pic.jpg

While the plain paper setting prints out more accurate colors, it produces streeks seen here

crop.jpg

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Alhough the Canon profile should work properly, if all jets are firing and all the cartridges prove to be working ok you may have to get a custom profile. I have read that some Canon models "lean" toward one color or another. I use an i960, and it seems to print a bit on the red or magenta side of the spectrum with either OEM or MIS inks.

RC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Wippy:

What brand of paper are you using?

I find that different brands give different tints.

Also are you using original Canon ink or any other brand?

Are you setting the printer on Auto or Photo setting, Vivid, Optimized Etch?

It can all give you different shades.

Sometimes if the printhead is just slightly clogged, it can give you different shades.

Robert

weppy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hey guys,

thanks for the replies...i'm using third party inks on canon photo paper glossy. the red tint comes out whenever i print on anything other than plain paper on auto..pretty much if i print on anything that uses the photo inks...its weird because even when i print a photo and choose to print in grey scale it comes out like..pink pretty much! the only time it prints accurate is when i retreive to default profile which is like plain papaer on the 2nd worst quality on auto color. Once i choose a different paper which sets the quality any thing higher than the 2nd worst the color gets a red cast

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
RC brings up an important issue - I've found it best to disable all the printer-controlled effects and set the color to "manual" instead of automatic. Also, if you are using the Canon Easy Print software it overrides any color adjustments you might make. Forum participants have mentioned several different software packages from which they print. I use Photoshop Elements, and I have also had good results printing some greeting cards with text and photos from Word or Wordperfect. Others mention Qimage or Photoshop. Another problem can be from the printer AND the software using their profiles at the same time. More confusing issues to explore!