Hello

Marlo

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Stylus Pro 7880
Hi I'm new here. I've used and owned almost every large format Epson printer for over 15 years. I recently had 3 and sold 2. I kept my Epson Stylus Pro 7880 with Ultrachrome inks. For about 5 years I regularly purchased any ink cartridges from Ebay sellers. I have quite decent supply of all of the ink cartridges except for the T6033 Vivid Magenta. Everywhere I look for resellers I've noticed that a lot of them lists T603B Magenta for use with the 7880. Now I am familiar with the cartridge and I know it works with the Epson 7800 printer but I'm curious as to why many dealers on and off Ebay would list that the T603B is compatible with the 7880. The T603B is currently selling for about 25-50% less than the T6033. Does anyone know if the T603B will work with the 7880? Is there some work around to make it work with the 7880? If so I can get a half a dozen 220ML cartridges for about $30 each to add to my supply.

Yes I print a lot and I'm a pro photographer for over 17 years. (Just in case anyone asks why I need that much ink)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Great to have you here Marlo!

BTW, you can never have too much ink! :D

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The difference is as you noted the 7880 and 7800 differ in the Magentas.... same as for all the models ending with x800 and x880. The tonal differences are significant enough that a different profile need to be used and a custom one needs to be created. Whether it is worth it or not will depend on what tools you have at your disposal and how many profiles need to be created. Jtoolman ran experiments using Vivid and Non Vivid magentas and confirmed the differences. Are they physically compatible yes. Just make sure you chase out all the other magentas thoroughly when switching.

Electronically to make them compatible simply remove the chip from the expired 7880 carts and transfer them to the new 7800 carts and reset them with an external resetter. They should fit physically.

What you have observed is so common among many ink dealers where one magenta is recommended for both the x800 and x880 series but we know what the issues are.

Marlo

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Stylus Pro 7880
The difference is as you noted the 7880 and 7800 differ in the Magentas.... same as for all the models ending with x800 and x880. The tonal differences are significant enough that a different profile need to be used and a custom one needs to be created. Whether it is worth it or not will depend on what tools you have at your disposal and how many profiles need to be created. Jtoolman ran experiments using Vivid and Non Vivid magentas and confirmed the differences. Are they physically compatible yes. Just make sure you chase out all the other magentas thoroughly when switching.

Electronically to make them compatible simply remove the chip from the expired 7880 carts and transfer them to the new 7800 carts and reset them with an external resetter. They should fit physically.

What you have observed is so common among many ink dealers where one magenta is recommended for both the x800 and x880 series but we know what the issues are.
Thanks for the advice. My color output is critical so I guess I will not be investing in the T603B. Sounds like you really know your stuff. I may pick your brain again in the future. Thanks again

Marlo

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Stylus Pro 7880
Great to have you here Marlo!

BTW, you can never have too much ink! :D
Thanks,
I really hate running out of ink and paper so I'm always stocked with at least 6 months to 1 year supply.