Hello from the California high desert

RSF82

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 10, HP LaserJet 404
My name is Roberta. I am not brand new to the forum but I have been receiving a message in the header to introduce myself so here goes. I am very much a printing novice although I have done some printing, none of it was all that special. I currently have a Canon Pro 10, graduating from a Canon Pro 9000 Mark II. I have not done any refilling or tinkering with printers although refilling may be something I will consider down the line. I use Mac computers - calibrate my monitors and would like to learn more about calibrating a printer.

I live in a rural area in the California high desert. I don't travel much even though I have been retired for many years so much of my photography consists of wildlife and scenes from close to home. I am fortunate to live in a wildlife corridor and there is quite a bit of wildlife passing through of living on our property. I want to print more and hope to do so with Canon Pro 10 which I would like to learn to use well. In the past, much of my photo printing has consisted of printing old family photos to hang on a gallery wall, some photo books, and albums as well as cards and photos as gifts for friends. I have participated in a couple of photography projects online and have printed those as well. I am really interested in black and white printing and hope to do quite a bit of it since from what I have read the Pro 10 produces good B&W results. Currently, most of my photos are online at my Instagram account (justmeinjt). However, now that Instagram is apparently attempting to become the next TikTok with more interest in video content than photography I think I will be returning to Flickr and may revive my account there. I take a lot of photos and like the idea of being able to do something with them other than sitting on a hard drive. Happy to be a member here since this seems to be a friendly and helpful forum.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Bekated welcome to the forum, RSF82. You are a talented photographer!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I use Mac computers - calibrate my monitors and would like to learn more about calibrating a printer.
There’s no need to calibrate your printer it’s perfectly fine that way it is, let the printer handle everything for you, just select the Media you wish to use for a standard/high quality print and click print, that’s it, please don’t use borderless, because in time it leave a terrible mess behind..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Does OP mean making an ICC Printer Profile for her printer + ink + paper because the specific printer + ink combo does not have an ICC Printer Profile for that specific paper?

RSF82

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model

RSF82

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Th
There’s no need to calibrate your printer it’s perfectly fine that way it is, let the printer handle everything for you, just select the Media you wish to use for a standard/high quality print and click print, that’s it, please don’t use borderless, because in time it leave a terrible mess behind..
Thank you for the info.

RSF82

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Does OP mean making an ICC Printer Profile for her printer + ink + paper because the specific printer + ink combo does not have an ICC Printer Profile for that specific paper?
It is something I am curious about because of the information I have been reading.

One thing I would like to know because I have noted differing opinions: leave the printer on all of the time to prevent clogs or is it okay to turn it off? Perhaps best to ask this question elsewhere on the forum?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Yes, it is fine to turn off the printer (unless it used via WiFi often), even best practice by some on the forum. It is also best practice to use your printer and not let it fallow for weeks on end. You have a race horse and she needs exercise.

Canon printers have the least risk for clogs if kept in proper ambient conditions (see User Manual), use OEM inks, and are used regularly (printing something that uses all the cartridges if even just a nozzle check).

Member The Hat, the forum's Yoda of Canon Pro printers and a few other printer related areas, can inform you best. He even talks funny like Yoda if Yoda were Irish. :gig:hide

Yes, starting a new thread is best as this is the Member Introduction forum. :)

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
One thing I would like to know because I have noted differing opinions: leave the printer on all of the time to prevent clogs or is it okay to turn it off? Perhaps best to ask this question elsewhere on the forum?
Leaving your printer on does more harm than good and doesn’t stop or prevent clogs, using your printer regularly is the best preventative medicine for all inkjet printers, be safe in the mind that the Pro 10 seldom clogs..

The opinions expressed here are the most honest and accrete that on any other website, that’s our guarantee..

Yes, starting a new thread is best as this is the Member Introduction forum.
Or request the posts be moved to the proper location..

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550