Hello Everyone!

Nigel Harris

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3800
Hi there,

Just a short notice to say hello and thanks for this forum, I've already found valuable information from the FAQs and various other threads. I continue to be amazed about how little I actually know (that's about most subjects, by the way!)

In our home we have a couple of printers. The workhorse is an Epson WF-3620 multi function mullarky. Has been dutifully chugging away for some years now, gets hammered with photocopying and general report/spreadsheet printing. Has been impeccably behaved to date. Have and continue to use OEM cartridges for this, although as I type I'm now wondering there's probably a smarter way!

The other printer is an Epson Inkjet Pro 3800. This is the naughty one that has been misbehaving recently. I'll post separately about that so as not to clog up this thread (sorry bad pun), I really would appreciate some help and guidance. And to be fair, if it hadn't started to play up, I probably wouldn't have discovered this community, so that's an upside.

I bought the 3800 new at the time, OEM ink to date and it has seen sporadic use, as I don't use it for business purposes. Stored in a cupboard when not being used. I love photography as a hobby, although I've never been able to dedicate enough time to it to get good. A few years back I put some stuff up onto Flickr, you can see an example here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nigeharris/8354437668/in/album-72157632406126070/

Anyway in terms of printing there are only so many A2 or A3 prints you might want to produce before your home has run out of wall space :) And thus with hindsight, if you ask me what printer I would want, perhaps I should have considered getting things printed for me by a print shop before opting for the 3800. Maybe that would have been wiser, I've not costed it out!

In terms of my experience of tinkering with printers, I guess my knowledge is limited. I understand concepts such as dpi, colour management and suchlike, but it has only been recently that I've immersed myself in the more physical and mechanical nature of the printing device itself (and INK!!), out of necessity. Glad that I enjoy learning. It just seems to take *ages* to research a new topic!

Work-wise my career to date has been in technology across the utility industry and more recently the postal service and I live in the UK, near Manchester. Oh, I'm a dog lover. But we don't have a dog. We have a cat (Burmese) - chaotic evil.

All the best,
Nige.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, Nigel.

A few years back I put some stuff up onto Flickr, you can see an example here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nigeharris/8354437668/in/album-72157632406126070/
BMW M Series. Nice cars. :)

You haven't said what the issue(s) is with your Epson Pro 3880, but ink jet printers seem more likely to maintain good function when used frequently, sort of like exercise for humans and health (or so I've been told). In this respect, it is not surprising that the "hammered" WF-3620 keeps on a printing while the cupboard queen 3880 has turned into is a fussbudget.

I guess the Epson WorkForce (WF) really is a workhorse!

Nigel Harris

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3800
Welcome to the forum, Nigel.

BMW M Series. Nice cars. :)

You haven't said what the issue(s) is with your Epson Pro 3880...

Thanks for the welcome, stratman. Your name sounds like a superhero. Perhaps your special abilities are printers!

Indeed I didn’t post particulars about the problem I am currently grappling with. I’ve not done it yet, but I will put a separate post into the epson forum which explains where I have got to with my clogged magenta channel. I’m still hopeful I will be able to get it back to normal, so any assistance from this community will definitely be appreciated!

Nige

Edit: here is the link to my epson 3800 trouble: https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/epson-3800-with-a-clogged-magenta-channel.13094/

Last edited:

Nigel Harris

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3800
Oh, that’s weird. I *am* using an iPad, so not sure if that’s messed things up. The link works for me, how strange. I’ll take a look in my laptop and see what gives... in the meantime, if you’ve not abandoned all hope of me be able to fix my printer given my lack of forum linking skills, the thread is in the epson section, near the top! Cheers, Nige.

EDIT: Aha!!! The thread is awaiting moderation before being displayed publicly. I don’t think I used any bad language! With me being a new user I guess.