Heavy User of Canon Inkjets

xeroid

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Would like advice:

Have been using Canon inkjets heavily for about 6 years ..... all rigged with WE-INK CIS Systems. Today I have about 6 IP3000 rigged and using them 8 hours a day. I am in Canada.

? - Since Canon now has the chipped cartridges ... what inkjet printers should I replace my IP 3000's with when they wear out? I noticed the IP 3300 is no longer on the Canon.ca site ..... I prefer 4 ink cartridge machines.

I noticed the Canon model IX 4000 and IX 5000 available in Europe ... a 12" X 18" Canon printer with only 4 ink cartridges. Can I use these in Canada?

What is the most reliable CIS for these machines ... as I have had some difficulty with the WE-INK units. The ones comming out of China seem that the holding tanks are just to small for my need. I'd be filling these things every couple of days! ... Should I be making my own CIS units? Then what is the best blank Canon cartridges and parts like tubing etc etc.

HELP would be appreciated from any other heavy users !

Wayne

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Unless you need the large format, you might be better to stick with what's available here like the iP4300 or I seem to recall Best Buy carrying the iP3300 which might be your best bet in a letter size.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
First off, avoid the iX4000/iX5000 units as CIS's seem to be very unstable on these models at present.. The problems with tubing pathways, length, etc... are causing problems.

Next up... whilst you might prefer 4 cart versions, you'd be best off biting the bullet and going with the iP4300 as Mikling suggested... Building your own CIS's is possible and so long as your reservoirs have the ink level slightly lower than the actual printhead you should be ok. For all that, bear in mind the discussion on Canon CIS's though as we're learning the pitfalls..

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Xeroid,

I am anything but a "heavy user", but I have been doing some very serious work on CIS systems for the modern Canon printers like the Pixma iPxxxx series.

I think that soon I will be able to help you and others with a reliable CIS unit that does not depend on fussy tweaking and adjusting. It will incorporate the Canon sponged cartridges, and based on a lot of cartridge refilling by Grandad35 and others, that may be a bit of a drawback. They have found that in cartridge refilling, you can use the cartridge almost endlessly, but you have to do a complete cleaning (search for "purge") every so often.

The reason I am staying with the Canon sponged cartridges in my development is that they are proving to be very reliable in their ability to manage ink. Canon did some fine engineering on those cartridges. Grandad35 suggested in one post that putting the ink through a very low micron filter might be worth it, if you were incorporating sponged cartridges in a CIS system.

For lots of words (no solution, YET), see my post, http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=10