Heavy blue cast on every print

Grandad99

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson stylus photo P50
Pixma iP7250 has suddenly been putting a blue caste on both pictures and text. Done a head clean and the nozzle check looks OK. Is there anything else I can do as a very untechnical user?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
If the nozzle check is OK and you didn’t change anything on the driver settings which could alter the color rendition, then the problem it’s probably a bad inkflow on the yellow cartridge.
Nozzle checks only use a negligible amount of ink so they don’t show any fault. but as soon as you do real life prints which require a sizeable amount of ink, the carts that aren’t in good condition can’t cope with the ink demand and the prints start to show progressively a color cast complementary of the cart that has problems. In this case, bluish cast -> yellow trouble. If it were a problem on the magenta cart then the cast would be greenish.

Anyway, we’d like to see a nozzle check and also some examples of your prints, in order to assess better the issue. Are you positive that the nozzle checks are perfect ? No missing bands on any of the yellow stripes ?

Do you use compatible cartridges or maybe OEM carts refilled with non original inks ?
I ask because inkflow problems are very rare with Canon OEM carts.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Could you upload a scan or a photo of the nozzle check?

I agree with Artur5, a blue cast could be caused by yellow being too weak, maybe caused by a printhead failure or a problem with the yellow cartridge.

I have tried different brands of after market PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridges. A few work OK but most have problems with ink starvation or ink leaking or even both.

I recommend refilling OEM cartridges and recommend top filling for these opaque cartridges. But German refill can also be done by holding the cartridge upside down and at an angle of 30 degrees and observing the prism and ink outlet when injecting ink.

I have attached a nozzle check from an iP7250 in good working order. Click to enlarge. Notice the vertical CCCMMMYBK lettering. These letters should be a neutral grey. In my case they have a green cast caused by magenta being too weak. This is caused by the use of a refill ink set intended for other cartridges the PGI-525/CLI-526, from Octoinkjet.

I guess the letters in your nozzle check are blue indicating a problem with yellow.

iP7250 NC 150 dpi.jpg

Last edited: