Have a problem printing B&W with my IX 4000 printer

Ómar Sverrisson

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ix4000
i have problem printing B&W wirth my IX4000 printer its always printing it with magneta tones tho i have set the profile to grayscale! and the photoshop file is also grayscale! whaTS UP?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
which type of paper are you using, and which paper type is selected in the driver ? Is the grayscale option activated in the driver ? Are you using Canon cartridiges or doing refill or using 3rd party cartridges ? What are you printing - photos - are they converted to B/W before you want to print them ? Is the problem new or does it exist already since you are trying to print B/W ?
i have set the profile to grayscale
Which profile are you talking about ? A icm-color profile - a printer - user - application - program setting profile ?

Ómar Sverrisson

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ix4000
i am using a3 plus canon semi mat photo paper! i am using the orginal canon ink! and
i am letting photoshop decide the printing profile! and i set everything right in the printer preference and checked the box saying grayscale!

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
I don't have much success in printing B&W when I let the software decide what inks to use, because then the "B" is usually a combination of different density(?) of colored inks. It usually never appears as good B&W.

I am not sure your printer is working correctly, but I would leave the software in it's colors, and set oly the printer preferences to B&W. Then the printer itself uses only Black or it's shades of gray. I use the same approach even for my Laser printer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Firstly welcome @Ómar Sverrisson to the forum, now your iX4000 has only 3 colours and is not a photo printer and that’s probably why you’re having so much problems trying to get good B&W photos.

When you print photos, your printer uses the magenta, yellow and cyan to make up your print, it doesn’t matter, even if your only printing greyscale and it will never use the black ink with photo paper.

To print greyscale with your machine you need to set the media to plain paper and it doesn’t matter if the photo your using is still colour in Photoshop, it will print B&W for you without any colour cast.

To do this you can set your printer to B&W only by using this setup or you can dial out the magenta hue when you set the media to photo paper, but use and alter the colour setting in here...
greyscale1.JPG greyscale3.JPG click to enlarge.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
It's simply because for the full print resolution the printer has to print with all colors (=all nozzles)

Having both 3-color (C-M-Y) and 4-color pixma's (C-M-Y-K) I have to say, that color cast on B&W does happen with both.
You have to adjust the color correction by yourself (like The Hat explained) or, much better, make (or let make) a color profile for this paper - it will correct all colors, including B&W!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@PeterBJ, your little girl JPEG would work much better for @Ómar Sverrisson, because it would take away the guess work for him much quicker...

Attachments

• Girl_Sheet_Colors_Test.zip
    995.4 KB · Views: 272