Hard margins problem when printing bordless

dayon

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hi

I looking for some advice from you, I have epson stylus photo 1400, I am traying to print large poster size photo on a few A3 format size photo paper, but unfortunately it isn't that simple.

I divided the oryginal picture into for example 9 pcs, then print them one by one on A3 sheet with no margins ( I don't want any margins, because, when I join all the A3 pcs together, I want one large size photo without any gap), so when I print bordless the full page is covered, but the print area is smaller about 1mm on each side ( I mean 1mm of the picture is missing).

I have change the bordless printing expantion to minimum in the printer setting, but the problem still exist.

I heard most printers have something called "Hard" margins. Hard margins are the margins on the page that the printer is unable to print on. How to avoid this problem?

I dont't want to print with margis and then cut to the printed area, I want just bordless A3 is it possible with this printer? Can I remove the hard margins on this printer, anyone has any idea?

thankful for any help

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
dayon
One suggestion I would have for you is to put a deliberate black margin all around you photo so when it prints borderless
its the black margin that gets cut off with the over spray not the photo itself.

You would have to practice a bit with the size of you margins to get it spot on before you get it right..;)

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
There are very inexpensive programs that do the dividing of a poster size print into sections that you can print with your printer's largest format - mine is 8.5x11. It won't print borderless so there is some overlap. I tried cutting the edges to avoid overlapping the sections but there were just a few small voids, and the white mounting board to which it was glued showed through. You can adjust the overlap and margins somewhat. I've made some posters for parties that people have really enjoyed. The one I've used is POSTER 7.9. There may be a newer version now. You can download and try it out first and then pay for the ownership key online. This program is not totally intuitive, but with a bit of patienct you can make great posters.

If you do buy this program, you need to know that it will reject files that are too large. I've had to use photoshop to reduce the size of the file so the program can then function. Once you figure out the quirks of the program it is really easy to produce good posters.

If you want to get rid of the overlaps you could temporarily glue down adjacent sections that overlap and are perfectly aligned with eachother and use a metal straightedge and razor blade to cut through both sheets at a time. Get rid of the waste edge from each adjacent page and the edges should meet perfectly.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
fotofreek said:
The one I've used is POSTER 7.9. There may be a newer version now.
Thanks for the info ... Ver 8.0 looks to be available. At $18, that's more affordable to this hobby'ist on a budget than QImage ... which I think is up to ~$80 and, IIRC, altered their earlier policy of lifetime updates for previous owners .... a no-no in my book of what is acceptable business practices. YMMV.

Note: I haven't tried either, so "consider the source".

Something else to consider .... many, many times you can mention that you are a member of something photographic, and request a discount. Like, "I belong to blah, blah, blah ... does that entitle me to a discount?". Or "I'm active on the nifty-stuff refilling forum ... how about selling me your product for $10?". In tough times like these, I suspect you could say, "I use a Canon printer ... does that make me eligible for a Canon user discount of $5.00 off?".

Depends on how nervy you are .... I infer that anyone refilling their carts is cost conscious.