Canon ipf8300
This is an art image I made.
-40The Besborough test.jpg

Adamphotoman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ipf8300
Not in this case. The image started in a medium format B&W film camera. A traditional wet darkroom print was made on Silver bromide dodging and burning under an enlarger. Then the image was hand coloured with water-based dyes. Next I copied the image onto 4x5 Ektachrome film.
After digitizing using a Bowen's Slide copier the image was inkjet printed on metallic
canvas.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Very interesting. Many years ago hand colouring B/W photos to turn them into colour prints was an art and special water colours were available for this. I remember reading about this in an old Kodak photo handbook, probably from the fifties,

Adamphotoman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ipf8300
Over the decades I made many hand coloured B&W portraits and landscapes. These usually started with sepia, selenium or gold toning silver bromide or silver chloride papers. Several techniques and materials are still available to photographers. I suppose I migrated to an alcohol-water based anilin dye because I also paint. There were little jars with a coloured shoe polish like material that could be rubbed on & off a print with cotton swabs. Transparent oils were popular, as was wax crayon and oil pastel.
Even traditional airbrush was used.
Many images were made this way before colour photography was invented.