Half Full

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
No refiller would like Canon placing ink sensors :eek:.
Accuracy of the actual system is sufficient.
In fact, there was still some remaining ink in the sponge area
Then sponge that is discarded in HP 950 not give accurate level if there is remaining ink or not ? so when its empty the printer STOP printing, can't reset permanent non-oem chip! :D

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
people used to complain bitterly about Epson printers "wasting" ink by registering empty when ink still remained in the cart. Although there are different issues with Canon and Epson that are triggered when the cart really runs dry, the manufacturers wisely retain some ink in the cart for the benefit of the printer user. How much Epson retained may have been a point of discussion that was worthy of concern, but I escaped from that concern by switching to the more easily refillable and equally fine Canon printers. I don't know a thing about this issue with HP printers.

vienna01

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX922/Canon LBP6230dw
Another trick was also tried and that was to prevent the cartridge from getting low on ink in the reservoir in the first place by topping up the cartridge while it was still in the printer, that didn’t work either and soon after the second fill the chip was declared empty. (Game over)
--------------------------------------------------------------REPLY--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What mechanism declared the the cart empty when it was being topped off?
If I understand how the ink management worked, if the print was always topped off the PRISM would always indicate FULL. Please help me out.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@vienna01, The printer has an inbuilt system that monitors ink flow and will declare a cartridge empty [Estimated] in an effort to save the print head.

The prism inside the cartridge can’t and doesn’t do anything, it’s only a piece of plastic in the shape of a triangle, and when the printer LED light can see through this prism that is when you get the low ink warning.

I used the larger CLl-8 cartridges in my 4700 which normally takes the smaller CLl-521 carts and on my first use the printer failed to declare one of the cartridges empty but after that hiccup the ink monitoring worked perfectly on all of the cartridges, please don’t ask me how or why this happened because I still can’t explain it.

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
This is the prism prism.PNG?

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Here are some photos of the OEM cartridges prism.

First a view from the bottom.
Outside.jpg

Then one looking into a cartridge.
Inside.jpg

And then an inside view of the prism showing its shape..
Front View.jpg