Greedy Lexmark has another weapon to bash your money from your pocket

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Greedy Lexmark has come with something very sinister about ink cartridges.

As you know, Lexmark is now using permanent printheads like Canon, using however only 4 cartridges (no photo black) and has come up with this PGI-5Bk clone called 100XL. You will pay 29.90 for one of these pigment black cartridge, which is still considerable compared to the 15 for the Canon's PGI-5Bk. But wait: you can actually buy the same cartridge (same ink capacity, same design, will fit theoratically in all new Lexmark printers) for 5, which is called 105XL by Lexmark. Aha, most of us want to buy this same designed cartridges for only 16 % of the price compared to the 100XL.

Lexmark is very greedy and put different RFID chips into their printers/cartridges, which cannot be refilled or the ink level monitor be disabled, making the much cheaper 105XL only be installable in their higher end and thus much more expensive models. Yes you can install the 100XL in those high end expensive models, but you cannot install the same capacity cartridge, but renamed and rechipped and much cheaper 105XL into the lower end printers.

What would you say if you see two bottles of the same wine in your grocery: one for 30 dollars, but the other for 5 dollar. Hey I want to buy the cheaper bottle, but your grocer is demanding you to pay a fee of 300 dollars, before you are allowed to get the bottle for 5 euro. If not: you will pay 30 dollars for the same bottle !!!

See this link on druckerchannel.de:

http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=2675&seite=6&t=die_druckkosten

My goodness, those guys at Lexmark have become even more greedier than the bankers causing the worldwide financial crisis.....

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I was in drug store recently and saw some Lexmark printers for sale. I will go back and see what model they were. This is the first time I have seen this drug store selling printers although they have had a few cartridges for a long time.

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Have this post been reposted pls ?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
No Spiderman,

just a new fact I discovered on the druckerchannel.de website. I already mentioned the RFID-secured cartridges of Lexmark which seems to be unrefillable, but this time the greed of Lexmark is even worse than I ever have imagined: same physical cartridge (same size, same amount of ink=same amount of page yield, but differnent chips and different prices).

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Thanks,

Oh, It's incredible . . how is this going to end ? . . what's next ?

I really wish people do more search before buying a printer. I fell into this same mistake buying the MP980 but at least it's still refillable

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
If Lexmark can get away with this practice, other printer makers will fellow.

Watch the Kijiji or Craigslist for Canon printer using BCI-3e/BCI-6 or PGI-5/CLI-8 cartridges. Buy, clean and store them.

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This is really no different than changing the cartridge design slightly so it won't fit. Most mfg have benn doing it for years and it's not really news.

We should be happy because 99% of consumers can't just simply fill their own carts and depend on people like us who make lots of money doing it. It's called the "food pyramid".

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
ghwellsjr said:
I was in drug store recently and saw some Lexmark printers for sale. I will go back and see what model they were. This is the first time I have seen this drug store selling printers although they have had a few cartridges for a long time.
The printer is the Lexmark X2650 3-in-1 for sale at $59.99. It uses black #14 and color #15 cartridges with a claimed yield of less than 200 pages. The store does not carry these cartridges but Staples sells a combination pack of both of them for $46. I have seen this printer in only one of this particular line of drug store.