Grain and red dots in prints - Canon Pixma MP520

vcelkamaja

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been using original Canon inks in the past and everything was o.k. (3 x CLI-8 + PGI-5). When I switch over to Hobbicolors inks and new virgin carts my prints have some strange grain and visible red dots in dark areas.

I have tried different papers (Canon Platinum Paper Pro, Photo Paper Plus, Lomond Premium Photo paper, Lomond Gold Paper) and profile prepared using ProfilePrism. Results are still the same - grain and red dots. I have tried almost everything (deeep head cleaning, alignment, print using different media in print dialog (Photo paper Pro, Matte Photo Paper, High Resolution Paper....) and using Printer Manages Color as well as custom made profiles. Still the same problem...

What is even more strange is that when I switched back to original Canon carts and inks the problem with grain and red dots is there as well! (it wasn't there before I started to use Hobbicolors inks...).

Maybe some more details:
- noozles seems to be o.k. - patterns check after head cleaning
- head alignment is a bit strange - grey and magenta is 0 but for cyan I have to set it to +5 (here the lines are least significant)
- before I stared using Hobbicolors and virgin empty carts everything was o.k.
- when I switched back from Hobbiclors to original Canon carts and inks problem is still there (even for original Canon carts and inks)
- all prints done using Lightroom 2.2 (Qimage tested as well - same results)

It seems problem is not the ink but the head - is it possible that the head was damaged / unadjusted by using non-Canon ink or cart?

I will try to attached pictures but I'm not sure if it works - I think it is clearly possible to see the difference between original prints using Canon inks and new prints using Hobbicolors and new carts (however prints using Canon inks looks the same now)

d:\IMG_0001.jpg
[img]d:\IMG_0002.jpg

Any ideas? Thank you.
Petr