Got a free Canon MP560, is it a keeper?

kgvickers

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Apple is apparently giving away the subject printer with a student purchase of a MacBook - my son just got one. He's about to leave for college and I'm probably going to get a CIS for this printer to save him the cartridge expense. But I seem to recall reading on this site that the Canons are not really well suited for a CIS.

Any advice? I'll have to invest ~$80 in the CIS but if the printer is crap I'd rather just get a good printer and get the CIS for it.

Thanks!

Keith

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
You can just buy some needle bottles and ink for the printer. It's not too inconvenient or difficult to refill using the german method.

kgvickers

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!:)

Good suggestion, I'll take that into consideration.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
Keep it.

I thought about using the german method but decided to go with the top method. The first time is a little difficult as you have to remove the inlet hole stopper ball. But after that it's very easy. I use IS ink from here:

http://stores.ebay.com/PrecisionCol...085QQ_sidZ98545621QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

Get the one listed for iP4700 as it used the same ink formula as the MP560.

It includes instructions on how to refill (from the top) and includes everything you need to get started. After a while the syringe doesn't slide so well so I bought a replacement (albeit slightly smaller) syringe at CVS for 50 cents. For about $25 to start, you can't go wrong. That eBay seller is a member here (mikling). After a year of heavy printing, I'm just now getting to the end of my first batch of ink (larger bottles).

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I buy 500ml bottles of ink myself and they last about a year for me and I print a lot and refill about 3 printers at work and my girlfriend's printer too. A little ink sure goes a long way and saves a lot of money.

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
kgvickers: Do NOT install a CIS ink system on your son's printer. The inordinate quantity of time he will be required to spend servicing/maintaining this system will drastically reduce his available academic study time, not to mention his needed 'partying' time. I don't know if you ever used a CIS, I did and it cost me my great Canon i9900 printer and untold hours of grief, not to mention the unsolicited RGB discoloration of my neatly tanned skin tones. Greeting people at that time with a simple handshake was quite traumatic--Rainbow Man!

Follow the advice of msmart and qwertydude with this minor modification: Go to:
Howard Electronics 1-800-394-1984
http://www.howardelectronics.com/kahnetics/squeezebottles.html

Purchase the 'gift pack' of 10 2oz. squeeze bottles w/needles Item KDS5200LL2 $13
Add a package of 22 ga scabbard seal covers for the needles Item JG22-SCP $6

The fine refill kit from Precision Colors comes with 1 syringe & 1 needle, not too user friendly when refilling different color inks. The multi squeeze bottle set up allows each ink color to be stored in individual bottles with sealed needles. Most important, leave the syringe at home, this not an approved dorm room accessory.

Summing up: With decent care, this refill setup and using the OEM Canon carts will last longer than your tuition payment time, each cartridge refill will cost 50 cents (the kit claims 36 refills). The forums on this site and dpreview.com (Printers & Printing Forum) discuss the pros&cons of CIS--my take says that unless you are in a profit making business producing large quantities of prints, 'fugedaboudit'.

Do your son a great favor and follow thru with the suggestions by the above seasoned veterans and those to respond shortly.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
irvweiner said:
Most important, leave the syringe at home, this not an approved dorm room accessory.
Ahh, I hadn't thought of that. Very good point. However, the needles aren't going to pose a problem for school officials, are they?

Good suggestion on the bottles. I've seen them mentioned here before but hadn't given them much thought. But it is a pain having to clean out the syringe after each color refill. I'm going to have to make a point of investing in them to make the refilling experience that much easier.

kgvickers

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
irvweiner said:
Do NOT install a CIS ink system on your son's printer. The inordinate quantity of time he will be required to spend servicing/maintaining this system will drastically reduce his available academic study time.
I had a CIS on an Epson 320 and I currently have a CIS on an HP c309a. I LOVE the CISs - I HATE refilling cartridges!

You can read about my experience with the HP here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4715

I spent years refilling cartridges and I'm good at it, but after having excellent luck with CISs, I'll never go back to refilling. I specifically bought the Epson 320 and the HP c309a after doing much research on printer quality, compatibility with a CIS, and the availabilty of a quality CIS.

Sorry - perhaps I was not clear in my original post. My son needs a printer and he wants an inkjet with a CIS (as do I to reduce operating expenses). The Canon MP560 appeared for free. After doing some research, it would not have been my first choice but, what the heck, it was free.

We are going to get a CIS for whatever printer he ends up with. So, here's the real question:

Is the Canon MP560 a good candidate for a quality CIS? If not, we'll spend the money on a good printer (perhaps another Epson or HP) and get a CIS for it.

Sorry for the confusion, but I do sincerely appreciate all the input.

Keith

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
OK, in that case, the 560 is not for you.

Put it up on craigslist, you may get a few bucks for it.

I'm the other way around. I had an Epson R200 and R220 with a CIS but got the Canon 4500 after the Epsons died. I wanted to continue the CIS route but found that Canon's don't work well with them because of the tight tollerances between the case and head/cart carrier. So refilling is what I now do.

This thread has been helpful, to me at least, in that irv reminded me of the bottles again. So thank you for that.

tnlem

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't run into this board early Just wanted to say thanks for the info and ask a few question. I have mp560 Just purchased. I am not a re filler, so I purchased some cartages with chips through Amazon for the printer. All the ad said is that cartages were for my printer. My first question is Do you think I will have a problem using these cartages? After reading this forem and not being a re filler my question is ( other than canon cartages )are there any cartages that I can use, or is refilling the way to go One last question concerning the chip If I refill the cartages that came with my printer(as above info do I need to purchase a re sitter for the chip or do I just refill and print?