Good Result

wcandrews@sccoast.net

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Canon Pro 9000 Mk II
OCP Ink
German Refil Method
Canon Orig. Carts.

I did not print to this printer from June till Dec. 22.

Refilled the carts before running a nozzle check. It turned out fine. Made full sized prints with absolutely no problems.

I was expecting a bad nozzle check and a time in cleaning the print head.

The cart liquid chambers were empty, but the sponges were wet. After filling, there were no bubbles indicating ink from the chamber going to the sponge.

I have been refilling Canon printer carts for many years. This is the first time with OCP ink. It is also the first time there were no problems after so long a shut down.

I don't really know why I got such a good result. It could be the ink, or just luck.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this good result with the people.

Wil

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
It ain't the ink.

wcandrews@sccoast.net

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! I now remember why I stay away from this forum.

Wil

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
wcandrews@sccoast.net said:
Because of the lighthearted reply? ("ain't" is a tip-off)

Nothing in this forum has been reported about OCP ink which would elevate it from other quality inks concerning clog resistance. If there were then there would not be reports on this forum of print heads with clogs while using OCP ink. Other factors must be involved. Consider yourself fortunate.

I'm not sure what your prejudices are but I have none against OCP ink or you.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

Wil
Gee and I taught it was Christmas i.e. Good will to all and fellow inkjet addicts.:hugs
Now where did I put that show machine maker..

Big_Al

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Canon Pro 9000 Mk II
OCP Ink
German Refil Method
Canon Orig. Carts.

Refilled the carts before running a nozzle check. It turned out fine. Made full sized prints with absolutely no problems.

The cart liquid chambers were empty, but the sponges were wet. After filling, there were no bubbles indicating ink from the chamber going to the sponge.

I have been refilling Canon printer carts for many years. This is the first time with OCP ink. It is also the first time there were no problems after so long a shut down.

I don't really know why I got such a good result. It could be the ink, or just luck.

Wil
Wil, was the ink that was still in the sponges also OCP ink? I will be opening my Christmas gift (Canon Pro9000 MK2) the 25th, and I am interested in using 3rd party ink.
Al

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Canon Pro 9000 Mk II
OCP Ink
German Refil Method
Canon Orig. Carts.

Wil
Hey, Will - no need to be touchy about someone's attempt at a humorous response! Some of us do mix equal parts of printer ink and humor, but we certainly don't tolerate trolls with nasty comments. The moderators absolutely ban anyone who is unpleasant or unhelpful.

I've seen printheads suffer from lack of use with OEM inks, and the opposite situation of no clogs after months of disuse as you've reported. If your printer had come up with a low ink message prior to your refilling the carts and printing after the six month idle period it would have gone though a cleaning before you printed the nozzle test. That may have been all it needed to clear any dried ink out. I bought an IP4500 printer that had sat idle for a year with an empty black pigment ink cart. The seller replaced the cart, I did a deep cleaning, and it gave both a perfect nozzle check and 8.5x11 photo print. I think you were just lucky, regardless of the ink that was in the carts. I believe that this was essentially the same message as Stratman's, but he cut to the chase with the fewest words possible to let you know that you were really lucky!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thank you to The Hat and fotofreek for your supportive posts. In retrospect, I could have done more, like add an emoticon, to help ensure my post would not be mistaken.

My post was meant exactly as you said, fotofreek. In fact, I even thought about your IP4500 story you had posted recently, though I couldn't recall who had posted it. Seems that both you and wcandrews had holiday "miracles" of immaculate printing. ;)

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, have a good day to all on Nifty-Stuff - that should cover most everyone depending on their beliefs during this time of year. :)

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
stratman said:
My post was meant exactly as you said, fotofreek. In fact, I even thought about your IP4500 story you had posted recently, though I couldn't recall who had posted it. Seems that both you and wcandrews had holiday "miracles" of immaculate printing. ;)
Even more timely was the fact the the person who used the ip4500 never printed anything in color. He was a student from Japan and was in SF studying to be a bilingual teacher in Japan. He only used the printer to submit his application to school and do a few assignments - all set to plain paper and only with black printing. Therefore, the color carts were "virgins". A year old IP4500 with the original full OEM dye-based carts! It's a miricle!!!!

I cleaned the printhead and put this perfect ip4500 in storage for when my BCI-6 printers die and go to heaven (or the alternative.) I should really buy an additional backup printhead for it while they are still available.

Grandexp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Canon Pro 9000 Mk II
OCP Ink
German Refil Method
Canon Orig. Carts.

Wil
It's not likely the ink. Of course bad ink may suffocate the print head quickly but most ink problems do not show up too quickly. Just keep using the printer and refilling. You will then know if the ink is good. Usually it may take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. If you print high volume at a time you will find out sooner.