Good quality CLI8 blanks?

SLR_65

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have 7 refills on my cartridge sets now (I have three sets that I rotate through) and so far so good, I've not had any problems using HobbiColors ink.

From what I'm reading though it looks like I may want to be thinking about flushing the cartridges or risk feed problems, or just replacing the cartridges before problems start.

To get extra sets I have been getting them off of fleaBay but they aren't that common and I've never gotten what I'd consider a bargain on an empty set.

I'm not really looking forward to the whole flushing / drying thing (though I am ahead of most - I have a refrigeration vacuum pump so I could vac dry).

I'd prefer to just replace the cartridges but the cost of new ones is too high for this ole penny pincher, and like I said - I haven't really gotten a good buy on fleaBay either. That leaves generic cartridges. I don't mind transferring the chip, but I would like a good quality cartridge so I was wondering how the aftermarket cartridges stack up to the Canon originals? Can anyone sahre their experiences with CLI8 generics? (good or bad)

Thanks!

SLR_65

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
So everyone is just refilling Canon cartridges and no one is using generics?

brendo1988

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I was thinking about refilling generics to give it a shot. Everyone here though recommends not doing so. This is because the sponge design on the generics isnt as good as cannon originals I assume

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
brendo1988 said:
I was thinking about refilling generics to give it a shot. Everyone here though recommends not doing so. This is because the sponge design on the generics isnt as good as cannon originals I assume
This is 100% true.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
I'm still on my first set of originals and have refilled them at least 10 times with Hobbicolors ink.They show no signs of any problem.I may be wrong,but I think these Canon cartridges may go on working for a LONG time.I'll probably flush them after a few more refills.Stick with Canon,is my feeling.

SLR_65

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
avolanche said:
I'm still on my first set of originals and have refilled them at least 10 times with Hobbicolors ink.They show no signs of any problem.I may be wrong,but I think these Canon cartridges may go on working for a LONG time.I'll probably flush them after a few more refills.Stick with Canon,is my feeling.
That's good to hear!

At what level do you refill them? i.e. do you check them often and keep them topped up, or you do wait until the liquid chamber is almost empty before refilling?

Personally I've been waiting until the liquid chamber is almost empty and so far, knock on wood, I have 7 refills and everything is working fine.

I could see where maybe refilling more often may be better as it would keep the sponge fuller? Or am I wrong here? Does the sponge pretty much evenly distribute the ink from top to bottom regardless of the liquid ink level?

I'm just lazy so I've just waited to fill them until they really needed it.

brendo1988

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
When I hap my old ip4200, I used to refill when the ink chamber was ALMOST empty. The idea of the sponge is to evenly distribute ink as you say. IMO, you can refill almost indefinitely as long as you dont let the cart run out. I refilled my OEM canon set on my 4200 around 40 times with no problems at all. No flushing. But having read posts here it would probably be good to flush occasionally. But now days I no longer have this printer. Upgraded to a MP600 and gave the ip4200 away. I now just use compatible carts.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
The dye ink CLI-8 need a purge only sporadically (maybe every 15-20 refills or longer), but the PGI-5Bk is pigment ink based and is more likely to have precipiation of pigments inside the sponge so every 5-7 refills it needs a purge (keeping the sponge moisturized with enough ink will prolong the the time interval you need a purge). Canon cartridges are still superior to any available aftermarket cartridge you can buy.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
I check often and try to fill while there is some ink left in the reservoir.Seems logical to keep a little ink in the reservoir would be best.