Good Prints

wcandrews@sccoast.net

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Canon Pro-100, Precision Color ink and profile for Kirkland Tulip paper

Most know that when all is well with your printer, the final quality of the print is the result of good monitor and paper profiles.

It is impossible to predict the quality of the print unless you have a monitor that has been profiled correctly. No matter how good the paper profile is, it is negated if the monitor profile is inaccurate. Most complaints are about prints being too dark. That is almost always because the monitor is too bright and has nothing to do with the paper profile.

Several years ago, I bit the bullet and purchased the xRite i1Profiler system – even before it was xRite. I updated the system to its current iteration and made good profiles. The print results were always “close” to the monitor display and I rationalized that the difference was the difference in the lighting between the monitor and paper.

xRite has updated the i1Profile software and when trying to update my monitor profile, xRite allowed me to update, free of charge, to the latest version.

What an improvement! I have a Dell 2408 monitor – not the latest. I ran the profile generator and looked at the results. There was no deviation between the optimum and generated curve.

The real test was a real print. I chose to print what I thought would give the most severe test – black poodle with silver patches in colorful background. In fact two such prints – one jpg and one RAW, both printed in Lightroom 5.3. The Precision Colors paper profile was used in printing.

The results were astonishing! I have never had monitor image and print result so close. You must look very close to see any difference. Just a little difference in the black coat of the poodle, but a civilian observer didn’t notice it at all.

I’m still with a mixture of OEM and Precision Colors ink, and the Precision Colors paper profiles have been great. When I get to all Precision Colors ink, I’ll make my own paper profiles with i1Profile, and I expect the results to improve over what is now excellent.

If you require accurate color, you may also want to bite the bullet and invest in this system – it ain’t cheap, but you pay the price only once – and the results are pretty amazing.

Good Luck!
Wil

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I also have the Dell 2408wfp. Excellent monitor for the money. I tip my hat to @The Hat when it comes to monitors. He has an Eizo and a couple of quality Dells. The Hat is playing chess while I'm still learning checkers. :bow

wcandrews@sccoast.net

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just did a profile for my Dell 17" Studio laptop with the new i1profiler software. It dramatically shows why you should never try to do color editing with a laptop. The display on this laptop is as good as it gets with laptops.

The displayed results were awful. Never try to do serious photo editing with a laptop.

Good Luck!
Wil

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I just did a profile for my Dell 17" Studio laptop with the new i1profiler software. It dramatically shows why you should never try to do color editing with a laptop. The display on this laptop is as good as it gets with laptops.

The displayed results were awful. Never try to do serious photo editing with a laptop.

Good Luck!
Wil

Specifically it is not so much that a laptop cannot be calibrated, BUT THAT BUDGET LAPTOPS, AND SOME LOW END DESKTOPS, HAVE CRAPPY MONITORS AND NO AMOUNT OF CALIBRATING THEM IS GOING TO DISGUISE THE FACT THAT THEIR DISPLAYS SHOULD NEVER BE USED FOR COLOUR SENSITIVE WORK.

To attribute that problem to all laptops is erroneous. Just look at professionals in the field using laptops to shoot, edit and transmit quality images in a very competitive market where image quality is vital. Of course they are using expensive and quality laptops at several thousand dollars per, and not a low quality budget item the OP was probably referring to. It is also probably no accident that Apple puts a prominent Logo on them . Just look in the press gallery of any major event.

I have a cheap Dell laptop cost about $800 that serves me well for what I want from it. I wouldn't dream of editing images on it. Makes my eyes hurt

RS

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Fixed it for you. :D

You got that right Stratman. Maybe should be prominant logo AND premium price.

Because I am the world's #1 cheapskate, I will be using my windows PC's for the foreseeable future, but couldn't live without my venerable iPad.