Good morning!

nowhere

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WFP4630, WFP4540, HP LJ
I discovered PrinterKnowledge while researching how to fix a few "vintage" printers and looking at acquitions. Great site I wish I had started following many years ago. I live just north of Washington, DC, just purchased an Epson WP4540 and am still getting decent B/W text from a 16+ year old Sharp JX9460 laser. My current interest is deciding which ink and cartridges to use in my new Epson ... and perhaps looking at true quality photo printers.

My first computer printer was an early dot matrix which was part of a Phillips P360 business businesss computer in the '70s. I can't remember ever scraping a computer printer, always passed them on to friends. My 5+ Y/O HP C6180 scanner froze about 6 months ago on a large job and I was unable to reset it. I had too much ink to let it go. Recently it developed paper feeding problems and I couldn't reach the rollers with rubber rejuvinator. I had nothing to loose so I took it apart ... now it's feeding great and I got the scanner working again. As aparently flimsy as these printers are, it's amazing how well they run and how long they can last.

Great to be here and looking forward to learning.

PS: I was involved in a printing/copying business for 10 years where I put a lot of ink on paper and used copiers from desktop/personal to Kodak/Xerox 9500/9900s.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat is also in the printing business. The stories the two of you could tell... :D

nowhere

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WFP4630, WFP4540, HP LJ
The Hat is also in the printing business. The stories the two of you could tell... :D
I probably wouldn't recognize a printing operation today ... definatly not the prep and plate department.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I probably wouldn't recognize a printing operation today ... definatly not the prep and plate department.

Wonder how many people know what a prep and prepress department is now?

I started as an apprentice in the print business over 50 years ago when we coated our zinc and aluminum plates with a light sensitive colloid prior to platemaking. This was prior to the concept of presensititized plates.

I recall stumbling over cmyk images on glass from an even earlier era in the stock room.

Oh well, back to the present: Cheaper, Quicker, and then throw it all away.

RS