Good-bye to my laser printer.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Recently I made the firm(?) purpose of tidy up my apartment, disposing of cumbersome items no longer used.

First candidate was my B&W laser Brother Hl-l5000. Not used for months. preferring the output of my Maxify inkjet by a long margin. My Brother wasn’t printing great lately. I bet the imaging drum needed replacing and it was running short of toner as well. In top of that, when I tried to print something last week, I found out that the driver has apparently uninstalled by itself because the printer no longer appeared in the system.
I reinstalled the driver but then I wasn’t able to print in booklet mode as before. No matter the driver settings, A5 pages wouldn’t print side by side on A4 sheets. Weird, because I printed this way without any problem for more than two years.
Long story short : not worth the expense of replacing drum/toner -> little Brother would be disassembled (just for fun) and the parts disposed of.

The foot print of a Brother Hl-L5000 is smaller than a Canon Maxify but, oh boy, when I finished the task, the parts covered an area twenty times bigger than the assembled machine. This was the first laser printer I took apart and I had no idea of the mechanical complexity of these things, Literally dozens and dozens of nylon gears, levers, springs, plates cabling, motors, PCBs, plastic and metallic parts of all shapes and sizes,
My opinion of this Brother is very positive, Everything perfectly fitted with a mechanical design and assembly of a high standard. No flimsy wobbly parts, lousy cabling or patched PCBs.
Three years ago I paid 100 euro for this machine. Really a steal. Pity that you need OEM consumables to keep a good output quality and then the cost per sheet of printed paper is way higher than a refillable inkjet ( which of course has also the advantage of color).

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
First candidate was my B&W laser Brother Hl-l5000. Not used for months. preferring the output of my Maxify inkjet by a long margin. My Brother wasn’t printing great lately.
I’m sorry to hear of your loss, because Brother laser printers are pretty reliable machines, and it’s still not easy to let go of it, but I suppose economics were just against it.

I still have my Brother HL 1240 since the late nineties, this printer was their first one to have USB connection and still have its parallel plug too, like yours it’s not used as much since I got the Maxify.

P.S. I still have a Samsung laser up in the house that’s also 20 years plus and going strong and its used weekly and prints as good as the day it was bought.. Funny dough because they both work with Win 8 and Win 11..

P.P.S. I also have my two 9500’s stacked on top of each other because I don’t have the heart to dump them..:hugs

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
If you lived in a tiny flat like I do, available space would dictate the rules. No unused equipment sitting there when you could possibly ( just possibly.. ) use that empty space to add another 3D printer to the family. :rolleyes:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
available space would dictate the rules.
My problem isn’t the size of my house, it’s the size of my head, that is the biggest problem, because no matter how big my living area is, I tend to clutter it with as much stuff as I can, even my Feckin shed is 6 x 6 metres and its jammed tight with all my stuff and junk..

I reckon I’m at my limits when it comes to any more 3d printers, it’s just not feasible to fit any more printers in and still have enough room to move around, it’s just sad that I can’t have any more… :(

P.S. even if I wanted another inkjet or laser printer, I would have to dump my 9500 first..

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I'm still using my HP LaserJet 6L. Works wonders.